Re-handling a clipper.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Hi guys, when i was out the other week my mate managed to smash a chunk of my handle whilst splitting some small logs.

anyway, iv had a search for how to so this but no luck, iv got the handle of no problem, basically im just wanting a simple wooden handle.

Im a total novice and have never tried anything like this before, so i have no idea what/where kind of wood to get, how to attach it to the half tang(tang is about my limit of blade knowledge)

any help much appreciated.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If it's a short tang, you may need to weld a stick tang onto it to be able to make a strong handle. Basically, I'd gift it to a hobby maker on BB or here to turn into something decent, and buy another one. They're cheap enough.

Unless you have the skills and kit to do it yourself, in which case, good luck amd post your photos at the end!

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
I have rehandled my frosts after breaking the original handle.

The only thing I had on hand at the time was an old hatchet handle so I cut a suitable length drilled it for the tang and fixed it together with two part epoxy.

It is not quite straight and will never win a beauty contest but it has held up ok so far.

I would say have a go at it, after all if you make a complete pigs ear of it you have not really lost anything and if works out you will have your own personalized frost:) .

Martin

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
Hi guys, thanks again for the links pretty usefull, i do quite fancy giving it a go my self, i would like to think im a decent enough craftsman lol,

also nitram55 i totally forgot about doing it that way, im sure i have an old hammer i could snatch the handle from, also how did you make the hole for the tang (mines is the wierd thick tang, not the long narrow one)

thanks.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I handled a fishing knife blade a while ago with a tang close to the size and shape of the clipper... I got the hole for the tang by drilling three pilot holes and burning it out by heating up a butter knife to red hot... there's still a fair bit of resistance, so as long as the pilot holes are straight enough, the butter knife will tend to follow them.. I cleaned it out with a bit of folded sandpaper so that the glue wasn't holding onto charcoal which would just break away.

Just don't scorch yourself if it's a butter knife with a metal handle :rolleyes:

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
also nitram55 i totally forgot about doing it that way, im sure i have an old hammer i could snatch the handle from, also how did you make the hole for the tang (mines is the wierd thick tang, not the long narrow one)

thanks.

Mine was also the short tang, I treated it like a very narrow mortise joint. marked it out drilled it and used a variety blades to clear it out until I had a reasonable fit.

Martin

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
Well i had a go, i found an old chisel, and used the handle from that then filed it down. its nothing special but its surrizingly confortable to use.

CIMG0401.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE