Rays new series 1st prog on the Birch bark canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Just seen in the TV guide that he has a new series starting on Thursday at 8pm

Apparently this programme is on the Birch Bark canoe :D Hope its not like its last series and actually focuses on how their made and what goes into them as I like them.

Simon

(and yes I'm stuck in work and bored)

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
There is an interview of Ray Mears on Radio 5 live site where he talks a little of birch bark canoes and how he built one for new series.

Hope that's of some use.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Squidders said:
I liked the last part of the series... and really... how much tuition of building a canoe can you get into a 1 hour show? ;)
if the new book is anything to go by joe a lot :)

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I'll go have a look, cheers Sodajoe.

Probably not alot Squidders, but it will hopefully show who the ribs of the canoe are built, I've only ever helped corricles to be made, never a conoe and I fancy having a go :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just finished listening to the radio programme, I thought there were some very funny bits in there, both my wife and myself laughed at the bit were a guy emailed about his son, Joseph, and how he was upset they couldn't hunt a deer with a bow, whereupon his dad said they'd probably be better off trying to run it over in the car!!!

Spamel

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I had a flick through the new book in Borders on Saturday (after escaping from IKEA) and while no so much bushcraft manual (it does state to accompany the series) I think the second half of the series will be much better than the first.

A lot of critism was raised of the first part of the series labelling it more travelog and than bushcraft but I dont see this coming to the fore on the second half, maybe this is due to the fact the new stuff will seem more pertinant to us in the uk maybe (imo) I just find things to do with North American and europe more interesting than Africa - i dont know but either way it does look good.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup hopefully this is the one we've been waiting for. I was talking to an Archeologist last year who made a dugout canoe with Ray in the UK, I think he then goes on to make the birch bark one. I hope there is alot more Bushcraft in this one too.
Cheers
Rich

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
One of our local TV critics, who has obviously gotten an advance showing seemed rather unimpressed. Basically stating that the program was extremely boring for anyone who wasn't actually interested in building a canoe, as there's very little else in it except canoe building.

If it's an accurate review all I can say is YAY!!! finally a program for and by outdoor loonies.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you listen to his radio broadcast, Ray said that it took him and one other 9 days to make the canoe. Granted, they had to do stuff for the camera, but they worked flat out and apparently had very sore hands afterwards. An indian was supposed to be able to make one in a week by himself, god knows how!!

Spamel

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
2nd part of series starts this evening for 5 weeks.

BBC2 Thursday 21st April. 8.00pm - 9.00pm BST. 1/5 episodes.

Today's episode:

Ray Mears' Bushcraft
Thu 21 Apr, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm 60mins

Birch Bark Canoe

Ray Mears builds a traditional canoe made from birchbark, cedar and spruce roots. It's time consuming, requiring skill, judgement and patience - a true bushcraft experience. Everything is judged by hand and eye using only traditional tools and natural materials.

As far as Ray is concerned these are the finest crafts people have ever created, making one is the realisation of a life long ambition.

General second series info from the BBC Web Site:

"From hands-on Indian canoe craftsmanship,to running with dogs in the silence of Arctic Sweden,Ray Mears demonstrates his unique abilities to survive in the wild while learning new skills on the way. In Canada,a quarter of which is water,Ray learns the ancient Indian craft of creating a canoe from birch bark.Every log has to be split by hand and every cut judged by eye.It’s held together entirely by roots and resin.Experienced Algonquin canoe maker Pinock Smith – one of the few traditional craftsmen left – allies his experience with Ray’s skills to create the perfect natural vessel.

Throughout the series,Ray follows in the footsteps of the Canadian fur traders,American mountain men and the Sámi people of Lapland,telling incredible stories of hardship and endurance. Whether he’s on the American prairies making boats from buffalo skin and willow trees with mountain men,or travelling with the Sámi people,who line their boots with grass to keep them warm, Ray is always at one with nature,reading the landscape to provide for his every need.

In the final episode,Ray comes home to Britain and shows how bushcraft brings a new perspective to our countryside and its changing seasons.From foraging pig nuts to a salad made with lime leaves,he points out the foods and plants that are available and explains why he loves to be out all year round.He says:“If I think about one lifetime,maybe we have 80 years if we’re lucky.That’s not many seasons to be out.If we only come out in the summer, we’ve missed out on three-quarters of a lifetime.”
So don't forget to grab the TV controls just before 8pm or set the recorder :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Now that's got to be a pain :( You'll know all about it before you get to see it!

It sounds like it's going to be a good episode tonight, something that will inspire people which is great, I wonder who's going to be the first person to try and copy him! :D

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Wow. For me, that was his best programme yet. For the first time, I sat there motionless for an hour just watching. Maybe it was of more interest to me, I'm not sure, but I throughly enjoyed it. :D :D

Just hoping that the rest of the series is as good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE