Rarest animal you have seen out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
The "Gamer", with it's characteristic pale white skin, greasy ginger hair, freckles, discoloured fingers from copious amounts of ingested Cheeteos and shyness towards female members of the species. it appears there are various sub-classes to the "Gamer" species, with the larger, slower moving members at the bottom, commonly known as "MMORPG'ers" to the fast, somewhat erratic, seemingly caffeine fuelled "FPS'ers" at the top. the characteristic call of the "Gamer" species is unmistakable and can be heard for miles "OMFGWTFBBQHAX"

:p

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
A Heron, apparently they are quite rare [untill you go anywhere near a canal or the coast...].

Apart from that a buzzard or perhaps a kestrel, maybe even a box jellyfish whilst on holiday, also a blue ringed octopus on a different holiday.

Last edited:

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
A Heron, apparently they are quite rare [untill you go anywhere near a canal or the coast...].

Used to help a friend out on her narrowboat, mostly along the Gloucester/Sharpness canal and the Severn. Herons are a beautiful bird but seem a bit daft to me!

There were many herons along the waterway (or was it just the one?) I'd see them standing on the towpath peering into the water. They would stand there motionless until I got close with the boat when they would effortlessly take to the air with just one or two wing flaps. Daft thing is, they wouldn't fly to behind me where they would have peace and quiet but always flew about 100 metres ahead and it would all start again!

Also seen several kingfishers at work along one wooded stretch of the canal. Never seen them when walking there but you get a different view when on the water.

Gareth

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Used to help a friend out on her narrowboat, mostly along the Gloucester/Sharpness canal and the Severn. Herons are a beautiful bird but seem a bit daft to me!

There were many herons along the waterway (or was it just the one?) I'd see them standing on the towpath peering into the water. They would stand there motionless until I got close with the boat when they would effortlessly take to the air with just one or two wing flaps. Daft thing is, they wouldn't fly to behind me where they would have peace and quiet but always flew about 100 metres ahead and it would all start again!

Perhaps they weren't being as daft as it seems. Your boat may have been driving fish toward them.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Perhaps they weren't being as daft as it seems. Your boat may have been driving fish toward them.

That reminds me of a time I was out walking through some heavily grassed area and noticed to small birds of prey hovering one to the left and one to the right and slightly behind me. I wondered why they were following me - but then thought I may have been flushing out small furry things for them to eat.

Sorry for the diversion.... :)

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
Where I live I've seen quite a few basking sharks over my life and some manx shearwaters a so that doesn't make it rare to me but apparently there in the thretend catagory but other than that the thing i've seen the least of in my entire life is the common lizard, i've only ever seen one, ever.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'm sad about ole George. I tickled him under his chin and he put his head down on my calf just above the knee for a few minutes before I got muscle strain and had to move. I went to see him again a couple of times during the course of a week because something about him fascinated me. It's quite weird to have seen a now extinct species. I always intended to go back and see him again.

IMG_0661800x6001.jpg

I can imagine that must be a strange feeling. It is estimated that out of all the species that have ever lived, almost 99.9% of all species have gone extinct.

Nothing as glamorous as some of the photos, and experiences on here Im afraid. Id have to go with Otters, and Mink, of which I've seen more than my fair share.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
LV
Althought 99.9% of all species are extinct, there are stills hundreds of thousands of different animals! And dont forget-humans have created some new species too (like that weird mix of lion and tiger...).

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not even in the faintest bit rare but I saw a seal in the sea for the first time last week. down at sunny Llandudno working for a day with a mate and we nipped down by the sea for a brew.
Thought it was a log at first but not many logs have noses.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Althought 99.9% of all species are extinct, there are stills hundreds of thousands of different animals! And dont forget-humans have created some new species too (like that weird mix of lion and tiger...).

Good point, although without getting too caught up in semantics, to be a proper species it needs to breed true, which ligers and tions don't. Most such species hybrids are effectively sterile eg. Mules (Horse x donkey)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Saw a marsh harrier this week. Not statrlingly rare I suppose....less than a thousand in this country though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE