Rarest animal you have seen out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The "Threadcromancer" strikes!

Some of the animals in this thread have staged a comeback since the thread was started, some are likely extinct :D

Oh 3 years [minus 4 days - near perfect timing from previous last post = 196 vs 197 ] isn't that old surely???

The heron thing looks familiar I wrote the same thing earlier in the thread....

edit///

I wrote the exact same thing in post 166 :)

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A numbat, sadly dead. Only found in one very small area of Western Australia.
Correction, it seems they are found in two areas. Hmm, the one I saw was in neither of those; I lived in the Nanga reserve area.

Use to see quite a few long-necked tortoises in the creeks around my parent's farm. I think they are increasingly rare now.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Saw my first Fisher back in September. Like a 70cm 10kg weasel. Trapper friend told me that they are just about the only predator that knows how to kill a porcupine.

Not so many years back, watched an adult pair of Lynx supervise the play of their 3 kittens. 10 minutes, by the clock.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I remember reading of a Scot; a writer born in 1899, called Robert Ogilvie Crombie who claimed to have met the greek god, Pan on a few occasions in Scotland.

images

Theres a guy works down the chipshop swears he's Elvis :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Saw my first Fisher back in September. Like a 70cm 10kg weasel. Trapper friend told me that they are just about the only predator that knows how to kill a porcupine.

Not so many years back, watched an adult pair of Lynx supervise the play of their 3 kittens. 10 minutes, by the clock.

Buddy of mine traps Fishers -tells me its a beautiful fur

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jeez. It bounded across the logging road like a short, black cougar. Had to ask trapper friends what it might have been that I saw.
The Lynx episode changed my whole bird hunting territory, forever. I had a gut sense of where their den was (dogs pushed them up one day.)
I never hunted grouse or rabbits there again for the sake of the cats. I'll go on a mile or two. Easy. I'm not hard to please.

Mind you, in a good year, we all do well = put 55 grouse in the freezer and never kept track of what we ate fresh.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I think probably the rarest animals we've seen whilst out and about are these
African hunting Dogs
Namibia

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lovely to see you back here - I know I'm not alone in that feeling

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Morning Dan :D
I see that Teddy's still getting out and about :cool:

I wish the weather was like that here today. We've got torrential rain, gale force winds, and mud and yet more mud :sigh:
I'd love a few cold, crisp, bright days.

atb,
M

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Dont know how rare they are, but i've only ever seen/handled one...A sand Lizard around 5"-6" long. I stumbled on it around some sand dunes at Prestwick Ayrshire. I picked it by the tail then it appeared to come apart in my hand...At 14 i had never heard of this defence mechanism let alone seen it in action....i quicky dropped the still wriggling tail...:eek:

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
5222aad2308d.jpg

Me , my father , uncle and few other our friends went hunting in a neighbor country , we were with 2 cars and after we killed 3 huge boars we were on out way home when some policemen stopped us and told the road was closed , our car was in the back and the one which was on our front , my uncle was driving shouted go go go and turned the car and started moving we want behind him , when we passed the policemen they started shooting in air but we kept going , there was a big snowstorm and fog , we had bad vision , the road was so small only one car could go at once , there was a turn which my uncle didn't saw because of the fog and he went right in a big pile of snow and my father pushed brakes and stopped in milimeters from the front car , so we couldn't go anymore it was just no vision , everything was white , it was really windy and foggy so we stopped , after a hard night in the morning it stopped snowing and we looked on the side and boom what we see? we saw this guy walking in 20 meters , it was an unexplained thing , it was so beautiful , we just kept watching this beautiful animal , it was an unforgettable thing ! then we kept going with no problems , it was amazing ! (picture is not mine)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE