ramsons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
right well here goes, was out walking on sat, and found a swathe of what i resume to be ramsons. the smell of garlic was quite strong. took a leaf and crushed it, it smelt of garlic.
now, in ray's book, he has it as an onion, but in another book on edible plants i have, they use the leaves as garlic replacements. i know its a relative of garlic.
so are both correct? if so i'll go and collect some as there are loads of them. those who live near sheffield, let me know and i'll work out the GR for you.
steve

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
There seem to be 2 very closely related species. Kath managed to find a bit of info on them and has posted it over on the "dinner suggestions please" thread. I cannot tell the difference so if anyone can enlighten us :-D
The other seriously garlicy plant that I found in abundace at the weekend is "Jack by the Hedge". It looks alot like a stinging nettle, but with rounder, less spikey leaves in a lighter shade of green and white flowers.
Crush a leaf and it reeks of garlic.
Cheers
Rich

jakunen

Native
Ok, just to add my ha'penneth, Ramsons or 'bear garlic' is a member of the same family as onions and 'real' garlic.
You should have absolutley no trouble identifying them. The whole thing smells of garlic and at this time of year has a head of pure white flowers, just like the ornamental varieties. In fact at this time of year you can't miss it! The woods around Bolton Abbey can be recognosed from a mile or two away from the fug of garlic fumes...
The whole plant is edible and one of my favourites.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE