Rabbit Stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I have made a traditional style (boomerang style) rabbit stick to a Hopi indian pattern and I am quite happy with it in use. However I have also made a heavier at one end than the other style throwing stick also to a native design and similar I believe to the British poacher style stick and I have a problem with how to throw it. Well not exactly how to throw it, that bit is easy. The problem is that I have read a description of it in use for hitting a rabbit in a patch of bramble that would suggest that it is thrown such that the heavy end goes first and can penetrate brambles. Now this to me impliesthat there is no rotation. Is there a particular method of throwing the heavier at one end type stick?. Or is it that the weight is enough too carry it through the brambles in spite of the rotation.
Can anybody help?

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I've read that one is to throw the rabbit stick in a side arm throw. Not over hand.Throwing side arm gives a wider target range.But going through berry brambles, I dont know.Hope that helps.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive a vague memory of hearing someone talk of this British poacher style rabbit stick only to forget about it untill reading this post.Anyone care to explain about them or even a pic.Thanks.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
To quote the Daddy on throwing sticks

"The English club shaped stick and the aboriginal non-return boomerang"
"The first of these involves the throwing stick which has one end heavier than the other and is thrown with force in such a way as to pin the prey like a bullet.................................
....... the pinning type stick is best suited to heavy undergrowth. I have even seen a game keeper stop a rabbit in the middle of a bramble patch with such a stick. While the rotating type of stick is better suited to open ground".

So how do you throw it so it doesnt rotate?

Anyone know?

I can only assume that it is used in the vertical plane,held at the lighter end in and every effort made to stop the rotation when thrown.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Easy! Sit quietly. wait till roughshooter has taken a few. Nip up behind him, and enjoy rabbits. Darwin rules. No lost stick and only one short downward stroke required!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
beachlover said:
Easy! Sit quietly. wait till roughshooter has taken a few. Nip up behind him, and enjoy rabbits. Darwin rules. No lost stick and only one short downward stroke required!
LOL, and if you're really lucky they may even let you have a small fire in your cell to cook it on.....

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
What about a throwing hammer? I've been wondering about a short stick with a reasonable sized stone mounted into it. The weight should carry it through undergrowth quite nicely and anything it hits will make a nice pate.

I used to try the bolas but I had trouble entangling water foul with them and got fed up seeing most of my bolas end up in the lake.

Realgar

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
For the British, non rotating throwing stick I'd reccomend you try throwing it a bit like a dart or spear. You're going at a stationary target and the heavy end should push through the brambles, if it's spinning at all the first bramble will deflect it so it gets impossible to aim and there will be more brambles taking the vital killing energy away. try both ways and see how quickly it stops if you throw it in anything other than with the ends pointing along the direction of flight. What you've got is an airborne club.

Have you noticed that the British rabbit stick is the same shape as the WW2 German grenade? they were thrown overarm for distance where the handle worked like an Atal to give more leverge.

That makes me think useing a cord like a throwing arrow might make them even more effective at penetrating bramble patches. Got to get out and try that sometime

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Throwing sticks are designed to be thrown in one of two ways - in woodland they are thrown vertically like and axe (so they dont hit the trees) where as in the open say against birds taking flight thet are thrown horizontally so they have a big 'kill' area.

Either way make sure your hot ont he sticks heels because most of the time your gane (if you hit it) will be only dazed with maybe a broken limb abd its only fair you catch and despatch quickly.

And if you go after a canada goose with one - get ready for a fight!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
wouldn't ya just throw it like a javelin?

mebbe adding a little spin like an american football to make it go straight and not turn end over end?

Tant

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I can't see that it could be thrown like a javelin, dart or spear as it is too short. It would be easier to throw a rock of the same weight.

Surely the WW2 German Grenade rotated when thrown and a vertically thrown stick also rotates.
My quote from Ray Mears on the 28 sept says it is
"thrown with force in such a way as to pin the prey like a bullet"
Then says
"the pinning type stick is best suited to heavy undergrowth"
and compares it
"While the rotating type of stick is better suited to open ground"

Do you think I have read too much into it and the British stick is thrown so that it rotates and when thrown correctly, in a vertical plane and at the correct distance for the rotation, the heavy head would be able to penetrate the brambles and hit the quarry, much like a thrown axe.
Thinking about it I'm sure thats right.

wortbag

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2004
New Forest/Wiltshire
Hi all, first post!

Not sure if I've missed something here but the only stick for taking rabbits from brambles is a four foot stick with a "v" at the top, much like a long walking stick. Used when the rabbit has sat in cover the "v" end is slowly pushed into the undergrowth and is used to pin the rabbit to the floor until you can grab it. hope this helps, Wortbag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE