Questions about Airguns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah Im currently 17 years of age, but from what I gather its still legal to own airguns at 17, although a large percent of gun dealers Iv been to wont sell them to under 18s.

Also I beleive its ok to own a firearm under the supervision of someone who is over 21? Also this may be a totally different story on private land.

From what Iv found I think my plans will be within the law.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Doesn't look like the legislation has passed through Parliament yet. I'll quote my blurb for those who aren't borderline. I know that the first and second paragraphs are conflicting - it's the difference between having permission and having the right. Where you see (*) is where the age change applies. The blurb I'm quoting is in italics.

The laws concerning the use of airguns by young persons are as follows:
Anyone under the age of 18(*) can only use an airgun whilst under the direct supervision and control of someone over 21, whilst on private property, with the permission of the owner of the premises or land, or at an approved shooting range or shooting gallery.

A person aged between 14 and 18(*) can use an airgun on private property where they have a right to be, without supervision

They may carry an unloaded and un-cocked rifle (but not an airpistol) in a public place only if it is in a securely fastened gun cover so that it cannot be fired. An under 14 year old must again be accompanied and supervised by a person over 21 years of age.

I'm not sure when the legislation change comes into effect so I'd check with your local police - just to make sure you keep on the right side of the law, if you've looked at articles section of the AETO site you'll know how severe the penalties can be.

A word of warning to those not considered old enough to shoot unsupervised - make sure your supervisind adult isn't banned from shooting as you'll be considered to be unsupervised and liable to prosecution, whether you knew or not.

Again I stress that anyone who is intending to go shooting (or even pick up an airgun) makes sure that they are familiar with the relavent laws.

Solitude

Tenderfoot
i have a little used Logun Sweet 16 air rifle with laser , tripod magazine of two 8 shots, gun bag, stirup pump etc...

I was tinkering with selling it later on but im not sure.

Its a good airrifle and i especially like the 8shots i can make in a few seconds, FEELING LUCKY PUNK!!!!!???!!

:lmao:

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
You need to be aware that, in Britain, possessing an airrifle which has a muzzle velocity 12ft/lbs or over requires an Fire Arms Certificate (6ft/lbs for an airpistol).

This isn't correct.

The UK firearms law with regards to air rifles has no reference to muzzle velocity at all.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Thank you for the advice decorum.

I bought the air rifle which had just been fully serviced and fully tested to conform to the law. I have not altered and tinkered with any of the mechanism. But I find it very interesting your comments most interesting and will have the air rifle checked out for my own peace of mind. Thank you.

Phil.

Phil, it's always a good idea to have a rifle serviced every so often.
Testing muzzle energy isn't hard but like most things not as easy as it sounds.
Pellet weight is a key factor in how much muzzle energy your rifle produces. The heaviest pellets should be used for the test. Temperature can effect velocity and in turn energy.
I have three chronographs here and each one will give a slightly different reading.
Your rifle was tested using the heaviest available ammo in the UK and the results were quite literally 11.9999643 ft-lbs at the time of testing.
So it's not really a matter of having to worry what pellet the police might use, if they ever tested a rifle. It's simple, use the heaviest.

John

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I've a question too. i've got a webley raider and was out shooting last night. I shot three rabbits and as far as i know all were head shots but it did not kill any of the rabbits it knocked them over but all got up and ran away.I could have continued to shoot but i felt so bad i went home i can't go shooting again until i no why they did not die. Could it be the pellets i was using, steel tip pellets I've never used them before. All the rabbits were shot between 20 and 25 yds what am i doing wrong.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
i have a little used Logun Sweet 16 air rifle with laser , tripod magazine of two 8 shots, gun bag, stirup pump etc...

Same set-up as I bought,
Some people say its a big heavy rifIe, but seeing as I'm a big heavy bloke I have no problems with it - it has certainly accounted for its share of coneys. Then I got my FAC and I've barely used it since.
I think people are confusing muzzle energy with muzzle velocity. The energy is calculated as the mass of the pellet, multiplied by the speed at which it exits the muzzle. If you keep a sensible amount under the 12 foot-pound maximum, there should still be ample power for dispatching suitable prey - so long as your fieldcraft and accuracy skills are up to scratch. It is wise to use a range to find the maximum distance that you can confidently hit a 30mm diameter target "Every" time. Once you find this distance, you can hunt but ONLY out to that same distance - you owe your prey a clean dispatch no matter how much of a pest they are. Then its more and more practice to extend teh range at which you can be sure of a kill.

ATB

Ogri the trog

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I've a question too. i've got a webley raider and was out shooting last night. I shot three rabbits and as far as i know all were head shots but it did not kill any of the rabbits it knocked them over but all got up and ran away.I could have continued to shoot but i felt so bad i went home i can't go shooting again until i no why they did not die. Could it be the pellets i was using, steel tip pellets I've never used them before. All the rabbits were shot between 20 and 25 yds what am i doing wrong.

I take it when you say head shots you mean vital head shots, not teeth, nose, lower jaw etc. the head looks a big target but there are lots of non vital parts.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
The legislation with ref to muzzle energy (12ftlbs) does not apply to Northern Ireland you have to have an fac for any air rifle no matter what the muzzle. I canrecommend the BSA Goldstar spring gun i had one it had a muzzle enery of 22ftlbs i got it hopped up to 30ftlbs and had no probs dispatching rabbits from 30 yards. The 177 has a much flatter trajectory than 20 or 22 in my opinion it was more accurate mine was a 22 but still very effective. One thing to rem about spring air rifles you get 2 recoils one when the spring goes forward and a mini when it recoils into your shoulder. The Goldstar comes with a 10 shot magazine which means you dont have to fiddle about in the dark trying to put pellets in the chamber.

Solitude

Tenderfoot
With Birds i always go for a neck shot, it severs the arterie and spurts everywhere causing quick loss of blood pressure causing blackout and then the nerves jump about before death, and because the neck is so skinny under those feathers if you hit it youve done the job.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I take it when you say head shots you mean vital head shots, not teeth, nose, lower jaw etc. the head looks a big target but there are lots of non vital parts.

It a different 3-D puzzle for every shot,
Obviously the brain is inside the skull - but then so are a lot of empty spaces - you have to know where to place the pellet so that the base of the brain is taken out by your first shot. For a rabbit, the head is the size of a clenched fist, but the brain is smaller than a wallnut. It is situated longitudinally between the eye and the base of the ear and, again obviously, along the centreline of the skull. You picture this in 3-D and aim your shot accordingly.

ATB

Ogri the trog

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hope you don't mind me butting in here with another question. I've been given a Weihrauch .22 air rifle complete with scope. Will it be good enough for small game, such as rabbits etc?:confused:

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Hope you don't mind me butting in here with another question. I've been given a Weihrauch .22 air rifle complete with scope. Will it be good enough for small game, such as rabbits etc?:confused:

Just a word of warning.
I was given a HW80, it was in poor condition so I serviced it with new piston head, seals and spring. Gave her a good oil (correctly) and chronograph ed the rifle. I kid you not, the rifle produced 34 ft-lbs. That's a third of the power of a rim fire rifle. Terminal ballistics of the rifle were better than that of a rim fire. I detuned the rifle BTW.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
With Birds i always go for a neck shot, it severs the arterie and spurts everywhere causing quick loss of blood pressure causing blackout and then the nerves jump about before death, and because the neck is so skinny under those feathers if you hit it youve done the job.

I control birds for a living and my advice is to go for head shots all of the time.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales

I have shot rabbits with my .22rf, H&L shots. The rabbits have run 100 yds, back flipped three times and dropped dead.

Are the pellets light weight?
Are you 101% sure your rifle is zero'ed?

John

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
I think alot does depend on the pellet, i found the best were either acupell pest control or prometheus pellets. The prometheus pellets were very visable when shouting at night with a gunlight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE