Queer smell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I was walking up Cademuir hill south of Peebles this morning and in two different places, about a mile apart, I smelt what I can only equate to toasted sesame oil. I couldn’t see any unusual plant, tree or droppings. Any thoughts on what it could have been?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The source may not be an unusual plant. In extreme weather, many kinds of plants will "sweat off" hydrocarbons from their leaves. Some of it is a byproduct of the formation of protective waxes on the leaf surfaces.

I live in the forested valley of the Fraser River. Under calm conditions and temperatures well above 35C (in the sun, not shade air temp), you can smell the forest, trapped in the valley. Apparently, hydrocarbons such as turpines are evaporated at great rates. Whether these things assist in heat tolerance or not, I do not know.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
The source may not be an unusual plant. In extreme weather, many kinds of plants will "sweat off" hydrocarbons from their leaves. Some of it is a byproduct of the formation of protective waxes on the leaf surfaces.

I live in the forested valley of the Fraser River. Under calm conditions and temperatures well above 35C (in the sun, not shade air temp), you can smell the forest, trapped in the valley. Apparently, hydrocarbons such as turpines are evaporated at great rates. Whether these things assist in heat tolerance or not, I do not know.
wow very interesting

thank you

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire

It could have been that. It was distinct but a very narrow scent, two steps and I was out of it. One area about a third of the way up the hill and the next about a third of the way from the top.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
This evening I could distinctly smell what seemed to be a hairdressing salon chemical like smell. Coming from different areas of a mixed hedge. No plant seemed to be present in both areas. I did look carefully. I walk past most days, never smelled it there before. It was a couple of hours after the thunder storm this afternoon.
Wonder if it was something to do with that?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some of the rockets smell like that in the sunshine.

Wall rocket is an annual, iirc, and it does have the kind of smell that clings to the hands.

M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
For some strange reason there was an extremely strong smell around where I live late afternoon that lasted for a couple hours.

Best I could describe it as is a strong granular fertiliser similar to the stuff I used when I was a groundsman :dunno:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
A couple of things that spring to mind

1. Not the smell you describe but there are a few stinkhorn fungi around at the moment and they have a particularly strong smell

2. Possibly some cheeky cannabis plants

Reactions: SCOMAN

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
A couple of things that spring to mind

1. Not the smell you describe but there are a few stinkhorn fungi around at the moment and they have a particularly strong smell

2. Possibly some cheeky cannabis plants
I thought of fungi initially but couldn't see any. Definitely wasn't stinkhorn, what I smelt was pleasant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE