Pyrolysis kinda type stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
The hobo and the pyrolysis stove work in a different way to each other, I dont think you could make them compatable, but have at it, the best bit is experimenting.

Have a look at the links born2roam put on his post, theres also some good stuff on the web, search under wood gas stove as well as pyrolysis.

BTW I have a cutlery drainer hobo, certainly the stainless steel looks a lot better after a few burns, now who does st.st food cans I wonder :cool:

Theres a company in the States makes a natural draw pryolysis stove in st.st but they want some very silly money for it.

If I can get the design right, I've been offered the services of an expert welder at the refinery, so I may get a st.st one yet :D

Glen that is a really nice design, have you field tested it ?

On the position of the fan, side mounted would'nt work with my design, I need the air draw up to the secondary holes for it to work, what I did (with the second fan :eek: ) was to use 2mm x 25mm lg bolts top and bottom, so it sits on one set of bolts 25mm off the ground (I had a big problem with heat transfer with this design, anything even remotely flammable that it sat on caught fire) and the 25mm bolts on top keep the fan away from the heat, the stove sits on top of those. Even then the heat transfer is bad, I need something like the asbestos pads we used to use in chemistry class, anyone know something like that, must be thin.

For the field model I will probably make a base with the fan and speed controller and battery contained in it, wide enough to stabilise the whole thing.

Speed controller next, pretty box after :D

Stephen

Gailainne

Life Member
Actually, I found the opposite to be true, at least for pyrolysis stoves, the primary air supply needs to create an oxygen poor zone for the stove to work, when using the fan I had to cut off the outside shields air holes, after it got to the boil I switched the fan off, and was surprised to find the stove continued to work, with minimum air supply coming in from the bottom.

"Where it would create 2 benefits is up at the level between the top of the burner box and most of the way up the pot. Positioned there it would both shield the pot from heat robbing wind but also if designed right would add to the chimney effect."

I do agree with this tho, whatever the stove design, and if fact normally have a foil windshield which sits close to the side of the pot, I dont have it very far up the side, but I may try that.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Actually, I found the opposite to be true, at least for pyrolysis stoves, the primary air supply needs to create an oxygen poor zone for the stove to work, when using the fan I had to cut off the outside shields air holes, after it got to the boil I switched the fan off, and was surprised to find the stove continued to work, with minimum air supply coming in from the bottom.

Interesting, there sure is some interesting reading out there too.
I think I may be begining to get a grasp of whats going on and why, mainly thanks to the end of this article
http://cbll.net/articles/dev-world-gasification

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE