'propellor' toys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Can anyone remeber the name Mors gives the propeller toys where you rub a stick against a notched stic with a properrlr on the end.

I and make them just can't for the life of me remeber what thay are called!:eek:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
best I can do at the moment spam -

whammy.gif

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Oh yest it works all right spam ;)

I'll try to take a pic / vid to prove it (mine is sitting next to me as I type) - not that I like to keep it close to me or anything wierd like that, it's just i'm a lazy oik and that is where it has been for a couple of weeks! :lmao:

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I watched that youtube vid earlier, I know he's a pro and all, but seeing anyone supporting carving work on their leg still has me recoiling.

The challenge with the Whimmy Diddle is first making it turn in both directions then figuring out what makes it spin in a particular direction, and being able to replicate at will

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
when mors made his did he use a nail in the end the same, is there anything natural that could be used instead, only asking because i can't think what :eek:

Mors used a panel pin too. I don't know if there is anything natural that could be used... A blackthorn maybe??

aarya

Oct 5, 2006
Norway
I`m thinking that one could possibly whittle a wooden peg, with a large head, and then push it into the end of the notched piece, and it could work just as well as one with a nail. Though i`ve never tried that, but it should be possible. If you`re careful to make the peg smooth enough. Maybe. :confused: :eek:

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Mors used a panel pin too. I don't know if there is anything natural that could be used... A blackthorn maybe??

That's exactly what we used on the Mors' course. Just cut a T from the main twig with the thorn making up the long leg and then push it through the propellor hole into the pith on the end of the ratchet stick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE