Potentially worrying development

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....what is this thing about a cal12 having recoil?
Sure shoot very high loads (50gram 89mm super-magnums etc)

Some here make it sound like it kicks as a .30-06spr or 300WM :p

As BR said, recoil (or more properly, recoil perception) is a personal thing. Most 12 guage aren't particularly heavy recoiling to me but they ARE more so than the same gun would be in 20g. That is, assuming comparable loads; as I said, heavy 20g loads overlap light 12g loads. As you pointed out, noise can also be intimdating for a shooter.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...and of course inertia operated 12B semi's (don't!) are softer than many 20B or even .410s.

I have an inertia operated 12; Daddy's Reminton 11-48. Not really that bad, but compared to my double or to a modern gas operated Rem 1100, it kicks like a mule.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Going back to the original thread! if your buying a 20b for the wife and a 12b for yourself you could just buy different coloured cartridges! most 20b are yellow, buy some red or blue cartridges for the 12b and you'll be fine! My wife is not small by any manner of means but she struggles with my 12b as its pretty heavy gun for her!

On the diversified discussion above, a 20b with a 28grm load will recoil more than a 12b with a 28grm load, the chamber pressures are higher in the 20b than the 12b and the gun is considerably lighter so it doesn't soak up the recoil as well! hopefully that dispels some of the myths above for 20b with game cartridges!! My mate shoots 32grm out of a 20g which I cant figure as that is a 12b load, that thing kicks like a goose gun! I don't get his rational!!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think I'll get my ticket and a 12 bore then see if she likes it. If not, I'll buy a 20 bore and try that. If she wants she can then apply for her own ticket... At least I'll have someone to operate the trap!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
as somebody already said plenty of cheaper shotguns out there I am still using an old baikal side by side not a very pretty thing but have grown to love it over the years its bluing has worn off but barrels are spotless inside I keep meaning to buy another shotgun but cant justify spending a load of money when it does what i need . It gave me a smile last time i went to the clay ground i met up with some folk for a day out they all laughed at the heavy tank like shotgun but i was the one smiling at the end:D. I think it cost me £50 heres a pic of a quick stroll with the hound.

That's one lovely looking GSP!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
My wife and I are in the process of buying a house in the countryside. We're able to afford it because we're buying with my in-laws :O

I'm going to apply for a shotgun ticket once we've moved, for vermin control and a bit of clay shooting. Just found out that the MIL wants a gun too! I presume this is to level the stakes when it comes to the inevitable showdown... :D

My wife informs me that she would want a 12-bore... (my father-in-law mentioned getting a .410, the big Jesse)

Well, you should have plenty of time to decide....waiting time for a Shotgun licence here in Avon and Somerset is between 14 weeks and 6 months at the moment!!!! Mine exprired 2yrs ago and so my application is being treated as a new app. I wish i'd just spent the £40 and kept it running!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spandit - try before you buy (please). There are a lot of permutations - side by side, semi auto and over / under. 12b / 20b/ 410.

Its worth going to a ground that rents guns and seeing what suits. In your part of the world, try the Dorset branch of Sportsmans Gun Centre or a good local clay ground. Most will let you try different guns and calibres for a nominal fee. If you fancy a road trip, come here! You will save a lot of money in the long run!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, i just got mine about 6 months ago, easy to do and very worth while if you think you will ever be getting both rifle and shotgun, i would say just go for both to start of with.....;)

.22 lr rifle is an awesome size round and a very good all rounder, the .243 kicks like a mule and has tremendous power for deer and fox, i think i need another rifle for the foxes, a .223 ( but dont tell the wife :rolleyes::27:).

what ever you decide, enjoy and most of all, be safe....:):):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE