Potentially worrying development

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My wife and I are in the process of buying a house in the countryside. We're able to afford it because we're buying with my in-laws :O

I'm going to apply for a shotgun ticket once we've moved, for vermin control and a bit of clay shooting. Just found out that the MIL wants a gun too! I presume this is to level the stakes when it comes to the inevitable showdown... :D

My wife informs me that she would want a 12-bore... (my father-in-law mentioned getting a .410, the big Jesse)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Lucky you! Where about are you looking? I'm finding the prices around Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells are eye watering, as is pretty much anything else within an hour or so''s reach of London. Does it have a little land?

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I hope you can take this in the spirit is intended.

Never even joke about such things as the "showdown" where it comes to licenced items.

Following "domestic troubles" friends have had such throw away coments taken out of context & used against them.
One is no longer a "mole man" due to his poison licence being revoked.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sadly Vandeen makes a good point :(

As for .410 vs 12 bore, they are different tools for different jobs, my wife has both as do I. Given I have a couple of 12 bores, I choose not to have a 20 bore in the house for safety reasons - it really shouldn't be a problem if you are careful but there has been more than one disastrous accident.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Fair point about the joking. Neck reeled in.

Why do you consider 20 bore to be dangerous? Is it because you could potentially drop a shell down your 12-bore?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep nothing dangerous about them. But a 20 bore cartridge in a pocket of 12s will fit into a 12 bore chamber but then slide forward into the barrel. If you assume it has ejected and slide a 12 bore cartridge in behind it the results are very dangerous. We both stick to 12 bore for larger work and .410 for close work and small game.

Don't get me wrong, a 20 bore is a fine cartridge - indeed many would say go 20 bore - lighter, but still capable of a high bird in the right hands, and I know many people have both - its just one risk I choose not to take

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Yep nothing dangerous about them. But a 20 bore cartridge in a pocket of 12s will fit into a 12 bore chamber but then slide forward into the barrel. If you assume it has ejected and slide a 12 bore cartridge in behind it the results are very dangerous. We both stick to 12 bore for larger work and .410 for close work and small game.

Don't get me wrong, a 20 bore is a fine cartridge - indeed many would say go 20 bore - lighter, but still capable of a high bird in the right hands, and I know many people have both - its just one risk I choose not to take

That was one of methods used in an episode of "Midsomer Murders". The baddie did exactly that.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have both 20 and 12 guage and have never had that problem. I can see it happening but to be honest it would be pretty difficult (for me at least) to mistake one catridge for the other. Even when picking them in the dark by feel alone.

When discussing the pros of the 20 over the 12 for women most people focus soley on the recoil. Again to be honest, they overlap. That's to say that powerful 20 loads can recoil as heavily as lighter 12 loads. Especially the "felt" recoil because of the lighter weight os most 20 guages. However another benefit of the 20 is the fit; or it least it might be.I've found that women have no problem with recoil from a full sized 12 guage but they often don't have the size (height/arm length) to affect a proper grip. Many 20s on the other hand are offered in Y/L (Youth/Ladies) models that are scaled for shorter statured shooters.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have both 20 and 12 guage and have never had that problem. I can see it happening but to be honest it would be pretty difficult (for me at least) to mistake one catridge for the other. Even when picking them in the dark by feel alone.

When discussing the pros of the 20 over the 12 for women most people focus soley on the recoil. Again to be honest, they overlap. That's to say that powerful 20 loads can recoil as heavily as lighter 12 loads. Especially the "felt" recoil because of the lighter weight os most 20 guages. However another benefit of the 20 is the fit; or it least it might be.I've found that women have no problem with recoil from a full sized 12 guage but they often don't have the size (height/arm length) to affect a proper grip. Many 20s on the other hand are offered in Y/L (Youth/Ladies) models that are scaled for shorter statured shooters.

I suspect our gun makers are different santaman, It is normal here to measure a guns Length of Pull and work out what fits each shooter (any competent gun shop will offer this service free). There are many lengths of pull available to fit all sizes of frame - whether 20, 16, 12 or 28 bore (in effect there is no correlation between calibre and stock length with the possible exception of double barrel 410s where a stock over 14 1/2" is unusual).

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suspect our gun makers are different santaman, It is normal here to measure a guns Length of Pull and work out what fits each shooter (any competent gun shop will offer this service free). There are many lengths of pull available to fit all sizes of frame - whether 20, 16, 12 or 28 bore (in effect there is no correlation between calibre and stock length with the possible exception of double barrel 410s where a stock over 14 1/2" is unusual).

Are you refering to standard production models? (off the shelf) Or custom guns? Standard guns over here generally have no correlation between gun demensions and calibre (apart from the really small calibers; ie rimfires, 410s, etc) but the difference I refered to is for models specifically for the youth/ladies market. And while they can be had in other bores, they're quite common in 20.

Most gun shops here will measure you as well. But if you require the stock to be modified that can be costly.

On a side note, if I could afford it, I'd love to have a custom made English shotgun!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Once heard a guy saying that it was his dream to have a set of shotguns from "Holland & Barrett" :lmao:

LOL. I would like to have a safari grade rifle from H&H. But again, that's only a dream. And realisticly, I'm getting close to being too old for the safari that would HAVE to accompany getting it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sanataman, its probably a "model" thing. Most shotguns here are double barrel (O/U or SBS) - very few pumps although some semis. Different models have a different LOP (and many gunsmiths will lengthen or shorten stocks to suit for a nominal fee - the advantage of wood stocks)! Its not really seen as a "gender thing" though - my neighbour is a small guy and shoots a 16 bore with an LOP of under 14" - my wife is nearly 6' tall and we both need at least 14 5/8". Interestingly many guns are now coming with removable spacers over here to adjust the fit.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suspect you're right about the model types.

I see the adjustable stocked rifles over here (both the ultra modern adustable and the "spacer" type you describe) But not yet seen it on a shotgun here.

I agree it's not always a gender thing; my 20 guage was my grandfathers and he was short as well. Back then there were no Y/L models (it's a very old Winchester model 12) and he had it cut to fit. It was my first move up from a 410 when I was about 13 or 14 IIRC. I haven't seen one yet offered in double barreled models here either (SBS or O/U) but I do like the idea. That said, modifying a double barrel would be easier as a gunsmith would only need to shorten the rear stock whereas with any type reapeater, the forestock is more fixed as to offhand grip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE