possibles kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

nomadbushcraft

Ok heres what I carry in my possibles bag:
it all fits into a 1 litre stuffsack with room to spare and weighs just over 650g, this fits into either my rucksack, or day pack side pocket. this augments my normal gear (tarp, first aid kit, bivi-bag, bushknife, axe, thermarest billy can etc) All items are multi use and I have modified the contents over the years to take advantage of new gear developments and to suit the broad spectrum of environments in which I teach, the contents are:

LED head torch with spare batteries
Silva Hunters compass and sundial
FOX 40 Emergency Whistle
LED photon micro light
permanent acetate marker pen
vaseline
micropore tape
1.5m (5ft) x 5cm (2'') crepe bandage
Ocote -maya fatwood sticks
Silky pocket boy saw
Spyderco 4"ceramic sharpener medium and fine grit
safety pins
Leatherman Wave
fishing kit (sal****er and lake hooks, jig heads and lures)
3metres (10ft) brass snare wire
sewing kit with large eye leather needles
30m (100ft)of 25lb test monofillament fishing line
100ft (30m) butchers twine
water purification straw
Nordic Summer insect repellent
folding cup with atatched firesteel
butane turboflame lighter
brass waterproof match case
60ft braided paracord
Emergency poncho (adults)
Ibuprofen 400mg (x12)
Aspirin (x12)
Paracetmol 500mg (x12)
waterpurification tablets
Reflective aluminium space blanket
mosquito head net
8g of resubllimated USP Iodine crystals in a 1 oz glass bottle(water purification)

Let me know your thoughts

Andrew

N

nomadbushcraft

missing word in text above is "salt-water".......nothing offensive!!!

Andrew

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Nomad that seems like a load of kit in your pouch! I wouldn't be able to compress all that into a container I could carry :eek:

I carry:

DC3 stone
about 50' of paracord
a little EKA folding knife
some plasters
a clipper lighter
a little plastic match safe
a firesteel
some fishing line and a few random hooks

Saying that, mine's on my belt and I don't think I'd like to carry anything more in the way that I do...

I think I have roughly similar to your list but it's strewn all over my bergen in random pockets, as such I wouldn't say I have a system to speak of.

Joe

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I tend to agree with Squidders, my possibles pouch is for "possibles", i.e things that make life possible... and has, give or take, about the same as Squidders in it.

I also have a possibles bag which is more like what you discribe...others call them a "Grab and go" bag...or others a "bugout" bag..... This is a sort of canvas shoulder bag a bit like a WW1 resperator haversac.

My possibles pouch also changes depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing...however my possibles bag seems to stay the same as it is so comprehensive.

(Notice you also have heaps of pain killers, 400mg Ibruprofen, Paracetamol and Asprin....you must get some serious headaches!!!! lol :D )

Nice set up for what you use it for though Mate and thanks for sharing :D

Bam.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Nice one NB, i can understand where you guys are coming from ive always thought some get mixed up with possibles and kit, but one mans meat is another mans poison eh :) I wont go into whats in my bushcraft pouch but bams got the pictures, then again thats another story lol ;) I carry in my possibles pouch a tinder pouch (full of bits n bobs tinder wise birch bark, wetfire ect) and fire steel, 10 snares, a fishing kit, DC4, sometimes a small opinel and a candle and have 10mtrs of paracord hanging from the outside, wich covers everything id possibly need if out and got in a desperate situation a survival kit as such, but the probability id need it in this country is pretty remote, all other bits and bobs are in my kit or SASS smock pockets (1st aid, steritabs ect).

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
In my possibles pouch I currently have,

A tinder pouch containing

-a few swedish pine sticks (maya sticks,)
-some birch bark curls,
-a few strips of good birch bark,
-some alchol antiseptic wipes,
-a fire steel
-a small fishing kit.

With those and my knife I can precure everything I might need in the short term and make most of the things I might need in the longer term.

Of course I carry a small FFD in my swanni pocket in case of a accidnet and to use as another sort of firelighting materials if I need it.

All the rest of my gear is my usual outdoor gear and is carried in daysacks or bergens or where ever for whatever im doing.

CARRY LESS BY KNOWING MORE - is the giude I generally us!

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
With that list of Nomadbushcrafts I wondered if it might be prudent to have a slightly larger bag and include a Sherpa :)

Minor point though
permanent acetate marker pen
Matbe I'm piccky / paranoid / just plain rude but I used to take a permanaent marker in my first aid kit for use on a laminated incident sheet (to send off with others in case of emergency so I san stay with the casualty).
Problem was the one time I needed it it had dried up.
I now use a chinagraph pencil.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Brixton said:
Matbe I'm piccky / paranoid / just plain rude but I used to take a permanaent marker in my first aid kit for use on a laminated incident sheet (to send off with others in case of emergency so I san stay with the casualty).
Problem was the one time I needed it it had dried up.
I now use a chinagraph pencil.
Likewise, mate. A trick I learnt from my SAR training. Mainly used for marking off sections on my map through my mapcase. Also handy cos they can be wiped off after use. I also carry a 2B pencil cos they can write on damp paper without tearing it to shreds.

Martin

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ok, here's a few pics as promised... I won't put them up here but heres a link to them:

Bam's possibles

Both my PackPal and MoD have firesteels with them at all times and these are, I guess, mini possibles kits... knife and firesteel is all you really need :D

The MoD has an Arkis sheath with a pocket as the issue one is a pile of dung. The "leg cord" is not for tying it to my leg "Rambo" style but for use with the firebow. I also have in the pocket a mini fishing kit, a hacksaw blade, a DC4 sharpener and a harmonica (keeps the mind busy which can be just as important if you are alone and in a tricky situation).

The pouch has the usual stuff in it, I won't list it but feel free to ask if you wish to know what a particular item is.

As I said my possible bag has far more in it and the pictures are in my bcuk gallery so you can see that when it's up and running again.

I am definately finding that the more I know the less I carry :)

Hope that's of use/interest to some of you :D

Cheers,

Bam.
:D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
raskusdrotti said:
Good pics Bam!

I like the pouch, and its the first time I've seen the packpal in its kydex sheath, looks good :D

Neil

No worries Mate :D I do like the kydex sheath myself and have gone for the horizontal carry option. I use my knife at work and so often have it on my belt, if I'm hopping in and out of the 4x4 all the time it's more out of the way than a normal carry....also by untucking my shirt I can nip into the local newsagents to grab a pack of fags without them even knowing I'm wearing it....so saves all that hassle.

Bam :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i picked up a nice little pouch yesterday. it's about 4"x4"x1" with alice clips to hold it on the belt. just the right size for my tin of stuff
contents include;
4x brass snares
1x tea-light
1xscout flint
3xhexi-tabs (in small plastic tube)
waxed matches in a bag
fishing kit
needles
lifeboat matches
5m light paracord
cotton wool.
i also fit a full size firesteel (on a cord so i don't lose it)
only cost a couple of quid.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
My possibles pouch:
posspouch_11.jpg

It contains:

Ferro rod fire starter
Ultimate Survival: Wetfire tinder x 2
Ultimate Survival: Jetscream whistle
Tinder card
Gerber sharpener
Cotton wool pad
Cotton bud
Plasters x 4
Savlon antiseptic wipe
Neurofen x 2
12' paracord
CR123a baterries x 2 (for my Surefire E2e + KL1)
Arc AAA LED Torch

I got a Maxpedition fatboy (s-type) and am using it as my day to day bag for work, but it's sort of turned into a possibles bag as well :rolleyes:

I'll get some pictures taken...

Hellz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE