Poncho or Basha

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Its horses for courses really..... both have their value and both do the job.... both are versatile in different ways. I would suggest though if you are going the poncho route then get 2 that can be press studded together as they make a massive shelter ;) I own both... and use both depending on what I'm up to.

Ed

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Although I've not used a poncho for shelter purposes, I can happily venture the suggestion that the basha/hootchie is a great piece of kit. Intuitively, I'd not bother with the poncho because they are often not long enough and because I have misgivings about having a hole in the middle of my night-time protection from the rain. A basha is a well-designed piece of kit with a single use; a poncho seems to be a slightly uncomfortable compromise between a shelter and a waterproof. Then again, some folk love 'em.:rolleyes:

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Have been using a poncho for a while now and have been reasonably pleased with it, really good for work (tiped it down in the east end today) but it's just not big enough for a proper shelter by itself. Its not wide enough and only just long enough. Will have a new waterproof soon so maybe a basha will be added to the one night kit, then again i've got the tarp from my hammock that would do the job aswell?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I carry a poncho in my daypack when I`m mooching about for a full days walking, it`s good for knocking up a quick shelter at brew time, especially when it`s honking it down.:umbrella:
If I`m spending the night out with the hammock or bivvy bag I`ll always take my 2x3 tarp, just because its a lot bigger than a poncho and keeps me and the hammock totally dry.

Rich

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have both:

Army issue shelter sheet / basha which I use to sleep under either in a bivvy bag or hammock. It is larger than a poncho and as such I always sleep dry! When car camping with the family I rig this up as a dining shelter to keep off both rain and on the odd ocassion the Sun.

Poncho (again Army surplus) which I sometimes use when mooching around a campsite in the rain. I have slept under ponchos in the past and have always found the living space too small. I would go with advice already given, if you must sleep under a poncho get 2 and clip them together!

I also bought a lightweight ripstop poncho off Evilbay but find it too small to keep me dry when used as a poncho or shelter!

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE