Polish Tipi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Should I get one . . . I've got a Golite Shangri-la 3, but I'm fancying one of these tipis as well, not sure when the hell I'd use it though to be honest?

Thoughts please!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Should I get one . . . I've got a Golite Shangri-la 3, but I'm fancying one of these tipis as well, not sure when the hell I'd use it though to be honest?

Thoughts please!

Yep, get one. Got one myself, good bit of old school kit from the Cold War era. Damn they are dark inside though:eek::D Use either one for kit storage, lol.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Yep, get one. Got one myself, good bit of old school kit from the Cold War era. Damn they are dark inside though:eek::D Use either one for kit storage, lol.

Thrown some stuff up for sale over on BB so we shall see. I've fancied one since I first saw them.

It would be handy to have a tent that didn't cost a few hundred quid I guess.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
GO FOR IT, for the money you can't go wrong. I love mine, but as Andy said they are dark inside but i like that for the mornings when the suns :sun: up early and you fancy a bit of a layin. very sturdy kit that should last for years to come. only con i can say about them is the fiddly buttons but that can be sorted.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got the Hex 3 and that works well enough but can't see any advantage of the smaller, heavier less waterproof polish poncho setup. Wood burner? I'm waiting for the first report of an accident; just my opinion.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Yer I thought about the light thing in the morning, though that has never really bothered me, it might help to keep things a bit cooler in the summer.

I wouldn't use a wood burner. I'm just curious really. I'm also thinking it might be handy to have something a bit less valuable for some of the camping I do, especially with the bike. Maybe I'm just being a bit precious.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I've got the Hex 3 and that works well enough but can't see any advantage of the smaller, heavier less waterproof polish poncho setup. Wood burner? I'm waiting for the first report of an accident; just my opinion.

the polish one is around £15 quid or so and the hex is what, £180 or something?

thats the advantage for me lol :D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi, was looking at the Go Lite this weekend and although in theory I really wanted one, being in one, I wasn't sure, how do you find yours? Do you mind me asking how tall you are? at 6'4" I found it a bit clostrophibic when lying down and I thought I would end up hittiing the poll at night.

Do you have a link to the polish version?

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I've only spent a couple of nights in mine, haven't had it long I got it a bit cheaper as I waited for the new one to come out and bought the old style. Anyway, I think it's a great bit of kit, the quality screams at you.

There is a lot of space in them, but obviously it's a very different view to a dome tent or what ever, I have used a force 10 for years so it was a bit of a change.

I'm only about 5' 8", but I had room. Once I bed down I don't move around too much, but I had a fair amount of room to move around if I wanted to - I'm a damn site closer to the edge of the bed every night I reckon. I'm happy with my choice, I am keen to use it more though.

Do a search on here for 'polish army tent' - it's not what you're looking for I don't think.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
mmm, I'm weakening. Worst case I can always sell it on . . .

steady there gregs...;)... you'll end up with tents inside of tents like a set of Russian dolls. I collect tarps and tents like Rik collects stoves and as Rik mentioned, these tents are not the most practical. A complete set with poles and pegs weighs about 4kg. They are however relatively cheap, interesting and like alot of surplus stuff, not the "best" but will work. A sil-nylon version costs ten times more but weighs a tenth as well.

Last edited:

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
Hi, was looking at the Go Lite this weekend and although in theory I really wanted one, being in one, I wasn't sure, how do you find yours? Do you mind me asking how tall you are? at 6'4" I found it a bit clostrophibic when lying down and I thought I would end up hittiing the poll at night.

Do you have a link to the polish version?

AJB, Here's a link for you http://www.essexsurplus.com/campingtents.htm
I've never delt with the company just a link i found, got mine from ebay.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
AJB, Here's a link for you http://www.essexsurplus.com/campingtents.htm
I've never delt with the company just a link i found, got mine from ebay.

I think mine came from ebay.de ? Still had the cardboard tags on. Both halves were circa 1979.

Got rid of the centre pole and replaced it with 3 wilco's adjustable line props which are cable tied at the top which gives you more space where the centre pole was.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE