Pimp my Carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
it is, had thought of that, i got quite worried last year going to a conference, i was driving and the seats, i assume it was the seats, of the hire car had the same effect. i was quite convinced i was going to have a stroke and am such a bad passenger, when someone offered to drive i said ' nah, it'll most likely pass' lol i think they spent the rest of the trip hoping with their fingers crossed. it was a ford focus sporty thing. not that comfy. lol
Isn't the whole left arm going numb thing meant to be the sign of the onset of angina/heart attack :rolleyes: could be the rucky but you never know :eek:

Norweigen packs simply pimped
the bigger one is lisa's pack the smaller is shannon's
my influence has lead them towards vintage packs :)
P5160123.jpg

i have to start pimping out my rugged river pack soon i think

Reactions: Minotaur
Feb 18, 2012
Wales
As many of you know I like to adapt and modify my equipment from time to time and I know a few others do the same, so how about seeing some of those rucksack mods.

Canvas_Crusader-1.jpg

This started off as a cotton canvas Crusader made by Berghaus but the old side pocket zip system was designed for their own pouches so I added zips compatible with the PLCE system.

The elastic in the hood was dying, so that was beefed up with some thin bungee cord threaded through the edge and the old buckles, of a type I just didn't get on with were changed to a more standard clip style.

Recently I've made a couple of side pockets with canvas salvaged from an old military tarp to better match the original material.

That is a an extremely professional job you've done there mate.

I have a one like that and the only thing which put me off it at start was the flapping lid.

The lid clips are a pain in the backside, I presume you've just put normal berg-buckles on?

As for the elastic, I presume you have put an line under the lid with a clip at the end of each line to retain it?

I now actually am more fond of it than my PLCE issue Infantry bergen. Maninly as I can scuttle around with it an not look too military.

I do like the job you've done of the side pouches.

In fact, my compliments a really, really professional job.

Think I shall have to get the housewife out for a go at mine, I'm not going to produce anything like the order of yours, but it does need running repairs.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The buckles were just 20mm snap lock buckles from a local outdoor shop.

I liked the style because the open frame meant I could slip a zip tie through to secure them a bit when they are going through luggage handling.

The elastic is threaded through as you suggest but also draws together at the back, under the lid so I can tighten or loosen it a bit if needed.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've made a couple more mods since the last picture so here they are.

Canvas_Crusader-1.jpg
Waylands_Bergan-1.jpg

Firstly I added a few strap attachment points on the pouches and the lid.

Then I trimmed off the straps on top of the lid which I never used.

Following on from Martins idea, I decided to try an extra pocket on the back but made it very low profile so as not to shift the balance too far back. The space was just right for my folding skillet so that's what I sized it for.

I attaches to the same zips as the side pouches, with extra zips on board to then attach the side pouches to, if that makes any sense. Anyway it can be added or removed as needed.
Probably about finished unless I tidy up the strap work a bit.
sporty68.gif

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I need to give the new balance a real field test but it seems OK on a quick bimble round. I have to admit I am looking at what I can do to the waist belt now.
At least one of Norrönas packs have steel rings for attaching a pulk to... All I have done to mine is badge to one of the side-pouches so I can tell them apart instantly. On my old Berghaus Atlas I had knotwork on all the zips, made them easier to grab in winter, and a bit distinctice as well.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm not sure how often I'd use a bergan and a pulk. I found on my last trip that it was much better to get the weight into the pulk nine times out of ten.

I also liked the flexibility of a strap that could go round the waist, over either or even both shoulders and in a tight spot be transferred to a hand grip at a moments notice.

Nice idea though.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm not sure how often I'd use a bergan and a pulk. I found on my last trip that it was much better to get the weight into the pulk nine times out of ten. I also liked the flexibility of a strap that could go round the waist, over either or even both shoulders and in a tight spot be transferred to a hand grip at a moments notice..

That *was* for the military market, where a patrol would have individual packs and then a pulk that was traded around. Quick and easy.

Pimping in progress photos
Cross to denote FAK
P5230143.jpg

Cross to indicate FAK is in this rucksack pocket
P5230144.jpg

Bushcraft UK leather patch and Union Jack patch on lid of pack
P5230148.jpg

I've a couple more patches to add but have had to stop as my fingers are starting to cramp a little
I'll hopefully get some photos of the whole shebang on friday in its natural enviroment

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE