Pimp my Carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As many of you know I like to adapt and modify my equipment from time to time and I know a few others do the same, so how about seeing some of those rucksack mods.

Canvas_Crusader-1.jpg

This started off as a cotton canvas Crusader made by Berghaus but the old side pocket zip system was designed for their own pouches so I added zips compatible with the PLCE system.

The elastic in the hood was dying, so that was beefed up with some thin bungee cord threaded through the edge and the old buckles, of a type I just didn't get on with were changed to a more standard clip style.

Recently I've made a couple of side pockets with canvas salvaged from an old military tarp to better match the original material.

Reactions: CrispyDuck

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
nice to know where to look for your first aid kit should ever i find myself having to patch you up, nice little touch that, gonna copy that one if you don't mind mate.

cheers

stuart

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
That is a great looking pack.

You just convinced me to keep hold of my Berghaus Vulcan.

Just pulled one out of a skip. it's old and been through the wars (probably quite literally) but all the zips and buckles are Ok. It's currently in the washing machine. Looking forward to see how it scrubs up. :)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Just pulled one out of a skip. it's old and been through the wars (probably quite literally) but all the zips and buckles are Ok. It's currently in the washing machine. Looking forward to see how it scrubs up. :)

What a find!!

Hope it turns out well for you, they're great packs. Just don't be tempted to fill it with stuff you don't really need, they hold even more than you first think.

Sent from my phone.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
What a find!!

Hope it turns out well for you, they're great packs. Just don't be tempted to fill it with stuff you don't really need, they hold even more than you first think.

Sent from my phone.

It has a few mildew stains (no problem, I'll just tell people it's dancam :)) I will probably hand it over to my Nephew for cadets

I already have an old canvas Roc I use. i don't add side pockets for that reason, I like to keep the weight and kit to a minimum.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
nice to know where to look for your first aid kit should ever i find myself having to patch you up, nice little touch that, gonna copy that one if you don't mind mate.

cheers

stuart

No problem Stuart, I'm not precious about ideas, they're there to be shared if they help anyone out.

To praise or to show your rucky mods..........that is the question.

Yep.. That's what we're after.

Nice job Martin, I considered adding a pair of extra zips so I could put another pouch on but I wasn't sure how much it would effect the weight balance.

Useful mod though when you need it.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nice job Martin, I considered adding a pair of extra zips so I could put another pouch on but I wasn't sure how much it would effect the weight balance.

Useful mod though when you need it.

Gary, very true, it just allows you to free some space up inside if required.

On the last trip to Norway it held the day's rations, brew kit and stove all in one place.

Just unzip and place back in the main compartment when flying.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
The only rucksack pimping done so far is two full cycle machine washes, the final one in Nikwax tecwash. It hasn't turned out too bad.
DSCN2316.jpg

Next to clean, salvaged from the skip, is a Primus Nº210 and a Markill fuel bottle :)

DSCN2314.jpgDSCN2315.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE