Picture of a crooked/canoe knife anybody?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi All,

I am going to make myself a crooked/canoe knife but have not seen one in the flesh so have any of you got any pictures and can you answer a few of questions:

thickness of the blade?
type of grind (e.g. convex, chisel, reverse bevel etc)
how big a curve at the end? if any?

the reason is that alot of the one here http://members.aol.com/mocotagan/ are almost staight but the one on esencial bushcraft on page 51 has a pronounced hook.

Thanks,

Christopher

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I don't have any pictures to contribute but the ones that have already been posted are excellent. There is certainly quite a variety.

Crooked knives were mentioned a lot in books I read when I was little, books devoted mostly to Indian crafts and lore by the likes of Ben Hunt, chiefly. Personally, I've never had one, since I've never been interested in anything that you do with them. However, rather surprisingly, they are available locally in a store devoted to woodworking. (In a Virginia suburb of D.C.)

This store is for woodworking hobby types and it has a large selection of wood carving tools, including the Mora knives with the short blades, plus a variety of crooked knives, all on the same rack with the special gloves I mentioned a day or two ago. The same store also has a two-man crosscut saw and a lot of imported axes and adzes, including some with funny curved blades that are a little hard to describe. I thought they had Granfors brand axes and they may have had but the ones on hand the last time I was there were German. I can hardly believe you can still buy a brand-new broadax, not that they are likely to be selling many.

I still have my eye on that double-bitted ax at the ordinary (but old-fashioned) hardware store just a few doors away and I'm doing my best to resist the washboard.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here's a few:
crookedblades1c.jpg

The top one is a hoof knife, the next 3 are modified hoof knives. The 5th down came from India or Pakistan, the bottom one is a Hudson bay crooked blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE