pics of what kinfe edges look like please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wozza

Jul 19, 2007
hi people, i have been reading about how to sharpen knives and it seems there are different kinds of edges and i have read about the diferences but still dont understand what they mean.

so if someone could do me a cross section of what they look like that would be great.

here is what i mean

4pevces.jpg

thanks james

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I think those drawings are in one of British Red's tutorials. Do a search for "How to choose a knife". I think that is the one.

I'll have a quick lookie.

Well, I don't see it, maybe he will come along and post the pic for us.

wozza

Jul 19, 2007
cool thanks guys it would seem all my knives have a scandy edge but with an extra beval, i think thats what its called.

it goes down like the scandy but then there is another change of angle where the edge is, hope you know what i mean. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, thats called a "secondary bevel". Many Scandys have them and almost all full flat ground knives. I dislike them on a Scandinavian grind as they impair cutting performance but they aren't uncommon and even quite traditional

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE