Pheasants.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Certainly. :)

First I would be obliged if you were to have a quick read of this one :http://www.shootingfacts.co.uk/pdf/pacec_glossy1.pdf

This also seems to be a good introductory document : http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/document-summary.cfm/docid/367BFC86-CB24-43F9-B3484DB26743E334

Needs further reading but my first reaction is the old quote "they would say this wouldn't they?".

Interesting article this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...ve-to-rely-on-pheasants-reared-in-France.html

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
And exactly how does this differ from your links?
No difference. Except that the BASC are rather more rose-tinted spectacled than the animal welfare are exaggerating in emphasising the ill-effects on pheasants so reared and the number iinvolved. In either case still not traditional which was the query.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No difference. Except that the BASC are rather more rose-tinted spectacled than the animal welfare are exaggerating in emphasising the ill-effects on pheasants so reared and the number iinvolved. In either case still not traditional which was the query.

So we've circled back to the question of just how old does something have to be before it's considerred a "tradition?" The empty table tradition has only been around since the Vienam War.

And the BASC are less dependable than rabid anti-hunting groups? Seems a rather biased and self serving opinion in and of itself

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Needs further reading but my first reaction is the old quote "they would say this wouldn't they?".

Interesting article this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...ve-to-rely-on-pheasants-reared-in-France.html

There seems to be degree of woolly thinking here. It is perhaps a non-sequitur to decry the opus of BASC on the basis of "They would say that" whilst failing to comment on the rather trite ( See my specific criticisms above) document by the rather subtly named "Animal Aid"...

Its is further slightly disappointing that you appear to miss the PACE document entirely, it being posited first quite deliberately.

This is not however a unique occurrence on this thread as it appears you make points and fail to tackle my counterpoints whilst introducing, forgive me, rather spurious new factors.

The effect of the article would be that pheasant shooting would become more expensive, back to those pesky wealthy again it seems.

I would very much appreciate responses to my points, once you've had time to digest them/consult others of course. :)

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London

You have not established a time frame for "traditional", it therefore is not possible to decry driven pheasant shooting as one or the other.

For example, and so as to avoid bothering Messrs Marx and Engels, it was Remembrance Sunday four days ago and the Armistice agreement dates to 1918, is it untraditional to observe a minute of silence too on the basis of the tradition being less than a 100 years old?

Of course it's not, as time elapsed if more or less immaterial.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not rabid for holding a legitimate point of view awkward though that view might be to some, as nonsensical as the phrase "militant secularists".

The empty table custom has its origins far far earlier with the empty place being present in many traditions. My own family would lay an extra place at the Christmas dinner table.

Cannot see what is traditional about the shoot. People eat and yes it is customary to segregate Guns from Beaters. Practical to count the Bag. The shoot is not held by popular demand like, for example, a village fete so not traditional there. But being so often wrong as I am someone tell me what is traditional about a pheasant shoot.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
No logical argument so let's call people trolls which must be the commonest trolling activity of all.

Yes, facts do seem to bother you. Pheasants are reared in battery cages, even the BASC said it so why try and deny it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE