Petroleum Jelly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

WNZer

Is this ok to put on knives to stop them tarnishing?, seems kind of an obvious thing to do but I havent seen many people doing it so my instincts tell me something is wrong :confused:

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Years ago a buddy of mine put this on his older carbon steel blades and it held moisture in close to the blades and they rusted.

I would say don't do it, use regular oil like Rem oil or equal, or if you plan to use it for food get a food grade oil.

Of course others will have other great suggestions too................ :D

Robbie Roberson ;)

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I've successfully used Vaseline to preserve various knife blades in storage over the years, without any trouble. I had a thick layer on my BA Golok in the tropics, which dried to a sort of thick, dark grease. When I recently cleaned it off (after about, ahem, 20 years :eek: ) the blade beneath was shiny and new looking. So I’d say use it for anything going into storage, as long as the blade is clean and dry in the first place.

Ted W

W

WNZer

Well thanks guys, I guess I will have to wait for a third person, LOL, you both make valid points.

I recently lost a knife, found it in the sheath take it out... shiny like I left it..... reverse inspection... :( it's now pitted.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
tedw said:
I've successfully used Vaseline to preserve various knife blades in storage over the years, without any trouble. I had a thick layer on my BA Golok in the tropics, which dried to a sort of thick, dark grease. When I recently cleaned it off (after about, ahem, 20 years :eek: ) the blade beneath was shiny and new looking. So I’d say use it for anything going into storage, as long as the blade is clean and dry in the first place.

Ted W
Whoa, sounds pretty effective. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE