Pendant from the darkside!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
HI.

I received a beautiful mammoth pendant from MIK ( pennillion from BB) last night and was really impressed.

A member there sent me a message and asked me if they thought it possible to make a pendant with the fires of hell pattern.

Having never tried before i thought i might just have a go,

I was looking at some slim offcuts i had from different projects and came across a bit of curly birch that i had left from another knife.

So with knife and file i thought i'd have a go making a pendant.

Its about 5 mm longer than the lovely one Mik sent me mate and about the same width. Although it is only about 6 mm thick. (Dimensions are around 35 long, 15 at widest point and around 6 mm thick.)

Coloured with fires of hell pattern, total time was a lot faster than i thought But then i guess working on a much smaller scale is a lot easier than on a full knife..

Its finshed to 2500 grit then painted with liquid shellac ( very dilute) then buffed up with black bison and elbow grease.

I actually quite like it.

i just have to get the cord for the necklace, if i can find somewhere in town that sells it.

Thoughts?

Side 1
PICT1076.jpg

Side 2
PICT1077.jpg

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Very nice!!!! Still trying to figure how to turn my little bit of mammoth tusk into some pendants half as good as Mik has been making!

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Its a mixture of dies, meths the kitchen oven and elbow grease mate.

More than that i am keeping to myself!

It was so much fun to make that i found a load more offcuts too. Brown mallee, ebony ( earings) and some mapel plus a bit more birch.
Some will be coloured, some plain we'll see how they turn out!;)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Now, seriously, I might well take you up on that in a while. I am thinking of a pair of posh carving knives....:rolleyes:

Does it make a difference if the handles are already on the knives or does the secret receipe apply to the wood being without the blades attached? am I making sense :confused:

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Now, seriously, I might well take you up on that in a while. I am thinking of a pair of posh carving knives....:rolleyes:

Does it make a difference if the handles are already on the knives or does the secret receipe apply to the wood being without the blades attached? am I making sense :confused:

No mTe it doesn't matter.

I just have to use a lower heat for anything on knives aready. Epoxy and 100 degrees don't like each other very much!:nutkick:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, I have got the blades made already,a whittling knife and a left handed single bevel crook, or hollowing knife , but haven't got the wood yet. Must work on that..:D

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Beautiful pendant mate, I like it.

There are so many beautiful woods that deserve the same respect than stones and gems used in jewelry.

Thumbs up for your realisation !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE