Pay It Forward - Tree Knowledge Competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
'Tis a little tricky this one Red. But don't give up the competition. Perhaps break it down a bit - say 3 - 5 at a go rather than the full 10. Certainly gets you looking at trees in a new way on the way to work!​

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Some thoughts on Mr Red's hints.

At guess #11, SOAR's trend improved after a dip in the middle. Now I don't know whether this applies to the total score or to a particular entry, but it may be significant that for No 10, he guessed Pine (Scots), switched to Hemlock, and then returned to Pine.

At guess #10, two trees have not been named correctly yet. I still don't know if this means that the names of these two trees have not appeared at all in peoples' guesses, or whether it means that they have appeared somewhere but against the incorrect number.

At guess #7, tree number 5 has been named, but not against number 5, which means that no 5 must be one of: Alder, Aspen, Cypress, Elder, False Acacia, Field maple, Goat Willow, Hemlock, Holly, Hornbeam, Horse Chestnut, London Plane, Mountain Ash, Oak, Pine ( Scots I think), Salix I think, I'm going with poplar, Sycamore, umberella pine, Walnut, White Pine, Whitebeam, Willow, Yew.

If we then take Mirius' comments (good correction on my second posting :)), this list comes down to: Alder, Aspen, Cypress, Field maple, Goat Willow, Hemlock, Hornbeam, Oak, Pine ( Scots I think), Salix I think, I'm going with poplar, Sycamore, umberella pine, Walnut, White Pine, Whitebeam, Willow. And if we then take andyn's comments, it can't be alder.

At guess #15, one tree has been correctly identified, but an incorrect one has been given more times than the correct one. No tree has been named consistently by everyone. If I look at the most popular tries: London Plane for 8 (13 guesses); Oak for 8 (10 guesses); Scots Pine for 10 (9 guesses); Ash for 4 (9 tries). I still can't conclude anything from this, unless there's something similar to London Plane that isn't London Plane.

At guess #20 there is an interesting difference of opinion on no 1. Commonest is Sycamore and Horse Chestnut.

I'm not sure yet where this gets us. but I bet that when we see the answers eventually it's going to be "Oh, of course!".

Geoff :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm tricky now we've started that way Rich - I have plenty more I could do in more....manageable...chunks. Or perhaps a mix of leaves, flowers, bark, whole tree and even fruit pictures?

What do you think?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh Geoff, no-one has got #9 yet either :)

What I meant by "not got" was not named it correctly in sequence. The name may (or may not) have appeared elsewhere incorrectly

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Oh Geoff, no-one has got #9 yet either :)

What I meant by "not got" was not named it correctly in sequence. The name may (or may not) have appeared elsewhere incorrectly

Red

OK, this is slightly different to the No 5 clue. For No 5 we had that it hadn't been named correctly, but it had definitely appeared somewhere else. So for No 5, we do have a definite list of candidates. After some pondering over Google images, I'm tempted towards Field Maple or Hemlock for No 5.

For this latest clue, we know that it has NOT yet been named correctly, but it may or may not have been named elsewhere. So all we can say for certain at this stage is that it is not: Alder, Ash, Beech, Lime, Sycamore.

So here's another attempt.

1. Sycamore
2. Alder
3. Elder
4. Poplar
5. Field Maple
6. Cherry
7. Oak
8. London Plane
9. Hornbeam
10. Scots Pine

Geoff (in exasperation)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have had 23 guesses - two more and I will do some more stats and clues if people want to continue. I suggest that I give the answers tonight if we haven't had a winner and I'll dream up another competition later - does that suit everyone?

Happy to keep going but I don't want it to be an irritant!

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Did anyone look back at Red's recent tree recognition postings? Haven't paid anything to the charity yet - I'll tot up a figure once the thread is closed depending on how many attempts I have. So here is another attempt.

1. Sycamore
2. Alder
3. Elder
4. Poplar
5. Indian Bean Tree
6. Cherry
7. Oak
8. London Plane
9. Holm Oak
10. Scots Pine

Geoff

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
We have had 23 guesses - two more and I will do some more stats and clues if people want to continue. I suggest that I give the answers tonight if we haven't had a winner and I'll dream up another competition later - does that suit everyone?

Happy to keep going but I don't want it to be an irritant!

Red

If you do a reveal tonight should we have the best so far win the book then Red? Not sure how you'd work that out?

Or we could have a roll-over? :D

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I missed hornbeam from tree 5. Hornbeam is quite similar to beech in terms of bark - smooth, grey/ green, but the trunks of hornbeam are quite errr lumpy - often it appears as though a number of smaller stems have fused together to make the main trunk, so I think we can rule it out.

And I've enjoyed this one immensely. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who isn't good at bark identification. The only reason I've focussed a bit on it is that when I started earlier this year, it was still winter, so the bark was the obvious thing. Mind you, I found when the leaves came out that I'd made some major mis-identifications lol.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you do a reveal tonight should we have the best so far win the book then Red? Not sure how you'd work that out?

Or we could have a roll-over? :D
I think a roll-over would be fairest Matt - worry not, I enjoy giving things away!

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Geoff - thanks for that..

errrr Colder?

Red

OK - thanks - I wonder how many degrees it dropped by between the two guesses...but I bet you're not going to tell me! So I'll go for one more to get the 25.

1. Sycamore
2. Alder
3. Elder
4. Poplar
5. Hemlock
6. Cherry
7. Oak
8. London Plane
9. Hornbeam
10. Scots Pine

It's a shame that my Mum and Dad won't benefit from my increasing desperation on this, but hopefully someone else will. :( :)

Geoff

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is a fantastic cause Geoff and I wish my grandparents could have had the benefit of your generosity

No cigar this time.

The best score is now

6/10

As a final hint, with a cut off time for answers of 5pm, I am happy to reveal that every tree in the quiz has been named (although not necessarily in the right place). I'm also happy to reveal that they are all trees that are possible to find growing wild and not (in my view at least) really odd ones like a bean tree.

Have fun!

Red

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Last time for me then :D

1. Horse Chestnut
2. Alder
3. Elder
4. Oak
5. Walnut
6. Cherry
7. Sycamore
8. London Plane.
9. Hornbeam
10. Scots Pine

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
OK - after lots of manipulation of all the answers and clues on a spreadsheet.

1. Horse Chestnut
2. Alder
3. Spruce
4. Ash
5. Holly
6. Rowan
7. Oak
8. London Plane
9. Hornbeam
10. Scots Pine

[EDIT]Not sure now - these fit most of the clues but after going through them again they don't seem to fit all of the clues. Arrrrgghhh! :banghead:

Geoff (waiting with bated breath)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:D

Still no cigar guys.

Interestingly though there is now only one tree that no-one has given the correct name to. It has however been given to other trees in the quiz.

Still no-one above 6/10 btw............

An hour to go

I can always eat the jerky myself................

Red.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Here goes then

1Sycamore
2 Hawthorn
3 Elder
4 Poplar
5 Lime
6 Rowan
7 Oak
8 London Plane
9 Horse Chestnut
10 Scotts Pine

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm afraid that I'm burned out on this now. I started looking again just now after Red's most recent posting but I've had enough. You win Mr Red, but thanks for the challenge. :)

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE