Pay It Forward - Tree Knowledge Competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Recently, we have had a bit of fun with tree recognition competitions.

Here is a one with a prize!

The first person to correctly identify all 10 will win a prize from me. You can enter as many times as you like. However for each entry I would like you to make a “pay it forward” gift. It could be to charity, or just helping someone out.

How much should you do? Your choice

Which charity, person or cause? Your choice.

If you can't decide then I will make a suggestion - one of my chosen causes is "Shelter". We enjoy being outdoors in all weathers but also go home to “re-supply”, wash our gear, and ourselves and enjoy a warm, well fed evening. It would be nice if we could offer someone else the chance to enjoy that kind of “Shelter”.

However, your own choices will be personal to you and equally as valid. A quid extra for the Big Issue, 5p in the charity jar in the local shop, a chore done for a local OAP – whatever you like.

I won't know if you have done this - but I trust you all so if you tell me you have, that’s good enough for me.

I would love to hear which charity or person you helped in your post. Here’s a link to Shelter on-line if you would like to give there

http://england.shelter.org.uk/howtohelp/howtohelp-7741.cfm

The rules are:

1. First correct entry on the thread wins

2. No "scores" e.g. 9/10 will be given - its 100% and a prize or "wrong". I may, from time to time, say what the “best” score so far is – but not whose it is.

3. The prize will consist of your choice of :

A) A complete batch of dehydrator jerky (ask Spamel or Matt for a taste report), or

B) A handmade 2lb batch of soap - we'll design a personal recipe for you,

C) A variety of handmade sweets (by me), or

D) A personal guided walk around my local haunts with lunch - payable anytime that is mutually convenient (clearly a booby prize but someone may like it)

4. I'm happy to give the answers to Tony up front if anyone wants an umpire

Oh, what makes it harder - you only get a picture of the bark of the tree.

There are 10 trees to identify and, as stated, you need to correctly identify them all. Please give your answers as follows

1) Elm
2) Hawthorn
3) ……
My gift was to do the shopping for my hassled neighbour……..Fred

Okay - thats the intro - here is the competition!

Tree #1

2006350159_5a2fc8e2cf.jpg

Tree #2

2006354191_4e02f4918a.jpg

Tree #3

2006359225_9bc0a09c00.jpg

Tree #4

2007161012_16ce268e2e.jpg

Tree #5

2007166760_3d9cfc1b6f.jpg

Tree #6

2006374511_1bd2c7f490.jpg

Tree #7

2006393463_2fba540625.jpg

Tree #8

2006386577_8950b980fa.jpg

Tree #9

2006381349_88ced123b8.jpg

Tree #10

2006398957_0716aa9624.jpg

I hope this proves fun!

Red

Oh - if you want to discuss other peoples answers, take the mickey out of one another, explain why you think 7 is the lesser spotted woodpecker tree or whatever - go for it :lmao:

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Heck, these are all from recollection/memory no cross referencing from books or web so if its right i'll be very surprised, but if they help anyone else then so be it.

I've chucked a few £ into the breast cancer box in reception as they are campaigning for it still here, but i'll be making my annual donation to the woodland trust in December too.

Anyway here are my guesses:

1)Pine
2)Alder
3)Willow
4)Field maple
5)Ash
6)Aspen
7)Oak
8)Sycamore
9)Beech
10)Yew

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent - Thanks Andy!

No prize for that entry I'm afraid - I'll give the best score so far when we have a few entries!

Thanks again

Red

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Then I shall have a go.

1 Sycamore
2 Goat Willow
3 Walnut
4 Ash
5 Lime
6 Whitebeam
7 Oak
8 London Plane
9 Alder
10 Pine

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks SOAR, your doctor will be pleased to hear you don't need to endure my jerky ;)

Three more answers and I'll give the best score (wheres your donation gonna go by the way?)

Red

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Guide dogs for the blind. and I will have to get the wife to get me a big issue as she works in the city.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Well, this is far beyond me, though I'm sure that they are really simple enough! I don't think I'm going to be sampling the prizes, lol, but it's too much fun not to have a go. My donation will go to shelter.

1. Horse Chestnut
2. False Acacia
3. Elder (not sure this is technically a tree)
4. Ash. Could be oak, but I'm going with Ash as the ridges seem straight
5. I have no idea :(
6. Salix I think, I'm going with poplar
7. Scots Pine
8. London Plane. I don't really think it is. The colouring is right, but it's too smooth
9. Beech
10. Cypress

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well Mirius, sadly, until they grow an "I have no idea" tree (and its "feck nose" cultivar), no 5 was always going to a problem. Thanks for playing though and your scores are in the "best score" spreasheet for judging against the others.

Red

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Ok I will try again.

1 Sycamore
2 Hornbeam
3 Walnut
4 Ash
5 Acer
6 Whitebeam
7 Oak
8 London Plane
9 Lyme
10 Hemlock

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Here goes.

1. Sycamore
2. Willow
3. Elder
4. Ash
5. Beech
6. Holly
7. Oak
8. London Plane
9. Lime
10. Pine ( Scots I think)

Cheers for the quiz. Money off to Children in Need.

:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excelent - thank you all!

The prize remains inclaimed so far. However with 5 sets of answers in so far, I'm happy to confirm the best score so far is

drum roll.......................................

5/10

Actually thats more that I suspected at this stage :)

Red

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
For London Wildlife Trust

1) Horse Chestnut
2) Black Locust (false acacia)
3) White Pine
4) Walnut
5) Ash
6) Mountain Ash
7) Oak
8) London Plane
9) Beech
10) Yew

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Rich - not the full set but do feel free to have another go when you've had a ponder.

Red

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Ok seeing as its for charity,I'll have another go. My wife is going to put my donations into their charity box at work children in need.

1 Sycamore
2 umberella pine
3 Elder
4 Ash
5 Acer
6 Whitebeam
7 Oak
8 London Plane
9 Lime
10 Scotts Pine

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting - not all correct SOAR.

Hmm a hint can be purchased through a (posted) act of random kindness to a stranger :)

Red

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
There was an 'auld fellow that took a fall in the middle of Manchester and I had to get past about half a dozen ignoramouses stood about gawping to get to him to help him up.

He was fine and I got the impression that it may be quite a regular occurance as he was quite jolly about it and exclaimed 'Oops, again' with a smile on his face. I made sure he was OK and he was off on his merry way.

Maybe not a random kindness to a stranger more of a random act of help - does that count Red?

I've not have time for good go at this yet myself so if the hint is to be via PM give to hint to someone random on here - maybe No 5 for Mirius.

Now that should qualify as a random act of kindness in itself ;)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I hope this proves fun!

Red

You call this fun! After doing our dinner, washing up ('cos wife and daughter were out at a charity nail manicuring session), doing some guitar practice I thought I'd relax last night at about 9 o'clock and have a look at this. Relax ! No way! I see several people posting 10 answers so I think that the game's up. I look at the trees and don't have a clue what some of them are so I get my tree book out, search on Google images and still don't get anywhere.

So I thought I'd be clever and collate all the answers so far but still don't get anywhere. And in any case, that doesn't really seem fair to the people who have put in all the work before me, so I think that I'll duck out of it. Then I see that the best score is only 5/10, so the game's still running. :banghead:

I thought that Bushcraft was supposed to be relaxing! :eek:

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE