Paddle making and tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Someone asked me earlier today if I would make him a paddle, so off course, I said yes, I would! Now I can't remember any of the "scientific" ways to work out the length of the things. Can anyone help?

Also , I thought that would be a good way to try my hand at a tutorial if anybody is interested? thanks.:)

That would be a traditional all rounder, single paddle, beaver type blade, probably Ash.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I had a go at this earlier in the year, a paddle for my youngest son. It was about chin height.. otherwise I drew round his brother's paddle.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I know absolutely nothing about canoes but in Ellsworth Jaegers great book "Wildwood Wisdom" he says the paddle should come up to your nose.
Looking forward to the tutorial Jojo.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I know absolutely nothing about canoes but in Ellsworth Jaegers great book "Wildwood Wisdom" he says the paddle should come up to your nose.
Looking forward to the tutorial Jojo.

Ooh, I want that book. Could you bring it to the next east anglia meet? (if there ever is one)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ooh, I want that book. Could you bring it to the next east anglia meet? (if there ever is one)

I certainly will. It's well worth adding to your library if you get the chance as it has so much information in.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Now, why didn't I think to look in there:dunno: That book is my bible!!! If that way was good enough for the native people who invented the open canoe, it's good enough for me. Thanks Snufkin.:beerchug:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As a BCU level 4 coach in Open Canoeing I can tell you that it definately is - variable! Depending on you canoes freeboard, the depth of water, blade size, whether you kneel or sit, the length of your back and even your paddling style.
The best "all round" paddle length can be ESTIMATED by kneeling on one knee, holding your fist out at right angles to your shoulder and measuring the distance from the top of your fist/thumb/finger join to the floor.
This gives you the length of the paddle shaft from the "throat" to the top of the handle.
Blade size is then optional and does not cloud the issue.
I have paddles with "standard" size blades that vary in length from ground to handle varying between mid chest and tip of nose - and they are all the correct length for the type of paddling they are intended for.....
John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE