overnight survival training test?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 16, 2011
Perth
ok im going to go for an overnighter tomorrow or maybe the next day depends on the input.

the plan is to go out with a lighter and random things around the house...sort of things you would find after a flood for example. i need some ideas on things that i might have lying around the house to bring, tin foil bin bags more or less rubbish that might be floating about.

I want to see what i can improvise with everyday things that are lying around so any input would be helpful but if i dont get anything ill go out anyway ill just have to annoy the mrs and take whatever she throws at me. either way ill put photos up when I'm back

Caboose

Apr 7, 2011
uk
old kitchen knife - you'd scavange these in any houses & you'd need something to process your wood
clothes & plastic cord from washing lines to help with bin bag tarp?
if you wanted some enjoyment, could always bring a wire mesh (but try and clean it beforehand) and cook some sausages on it! :D (it'd be rare but maybe you'd find them in someones fridge after some scavaging?

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
if you were going to scavage from the house after a flood then you would have to consider most items on the ground floor would be contaminated from raw sewage, so any food items would have to be tinned or from a jar. cordage wise i would go straight for the hoover or any other electrical appliance that uses a long lead and have that straight off. with a bit of work you could separate the 3 wires from the lead and triple the length and usefulness of the makeshift cord.
as for caboose's idea about the wire mesh you could always nick a shelf out of the oven, i salvaged two perfect ones from an oven that was going to the scrapyard after a kitchen refit and they are perfect for cooking over an open fire.
talking of fires if the tumble drier had miraculously survived getting wet you could salvage the lint from the filter and use it as tinder. in fact why not take the filter as well, most driers filters are a fine plastic mesh which could be used to sift out any unwanted crap from drinking water before you boil it in your salvaged saucepan.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...sort of things you would find after a flood for example..."

"...you'd scavange these in any houses..."

The OP lives in Fife, unless his flood is caused by an Ben Nevis sized lump of rock landing in the Indian Ocean then 'scavenging' will count as looting and will get you locked up. Something to bear in mind.

Household items to grab...

A big cooking pot, you can float your family photographs and granddads medals around in it and if rescue is not immediately forthcoming and you have moved to higher ground you can boil up some water to clean the mud out of your clothes and hair and maybe even boil some for drinking.

:)

Last edited:

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
If you want to test yourself then why not just take, a knife, cooking pot, para cord and the clothes you are wearing.

Caboose

Apr 7, 2011
uk
The OP lives in Fife, unless his flood is caused by an Ben Nevis sized lump of rock landing in the Indian Ocean then 'scavenging' will count as looting and will get you locked up. Something to bear in mind.

I do agree. But thats if you get caught, which would probably be unlikely if you were really surviving as that'd mean there would be no people around you to assist. Besides it wouldn't be like you were stealing their jewellery and tv. Just some food, a knife maybe, and some means to cook it on if you didn't already gather these from your own house in the first place! Anyway if I was in an honest "survival situation" then I wouldn't hesitate to gather up/steal any simple bits in order to survive, as long as it didn't put anyone in jeopardy/danger or unless it was already occupied. I'm always considerate of others anyway and would help them with said items as well to survive & you can always give them back later :p

Even if you did get arrested. At least then you'd be out of the "survival situation" because they'd be required to feed you, even then its in their jurisdiction if they want to arrest you under such a situation and getting only a means in order to survive. Right? As far as I see it as I stated above, You believe you're in a situation that its life or death, and you were only protecting your life by gaining the few tools nessicary, and not stealing valuable items that you would profit from. Least thats how I HOPE a policeman/court would see it.

Last edited:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
if its a flooding event, it would be stuff that floats......

plastic bottle (kettle)

plastic carrier bags (waterproof clothing)

a wheelie bin (shelter but if youre goign to the woods, perhaps not.... plastic sheet?)

wood (fuel but it will be saturated)

a bit of tyre (fire starter)

if you happen to find anything else such as a lighter, well actually anything you decide to have scavenged, chuck it in a bucket of water over night so its actually as fubar'd as it would be in the event of flooding

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
if the flood scenario is a 'you are escaping from a flood...' i should imagine if you were grabbing things while evacuating it would be anything you could fit in a rucksack quickly, a couple saucepans,canteens of water from your tap, roll of bin liners, cans of food, waterproofs, selected items from the cutlery draw, first aid, the dog, phone, etc. i keep all my vitals documents in a little cash box, so it can just be grabbed and taken along so as to prove identity and speed up the going back to normal life, anyway besides the point.

if the scenario is a 'post flood, need to scavenge to survive' type thing, i reckon a good place for ideas would be a sluice, the upward side, where all the rubbish collects. this would give you a good idea of likely aftermath stuff.

it would be mostly plastic bottles, probably half empty ones as they are most likely to still have a lid on in a domestic environment, which would most likely be under the sink type stuff and would make anything stored in them taste horrible even after cleaning. and general floating detritus like nylon ropes/nets, doors, sealed containers, dead bodies etc etc.

you'd need to be selective with regard to drinking vessels, but lots could be used to make floating aids. i think the scenario is a difficult one, because flood water generally is immediately prohibitive of searching under the surface no matter how shallow due to the dirty colour. all useful cutting equipment will be at the bottom so your best guess of likely equipment is upper draw kitchen stuff and cupboards.

tongue in cheek here but start upstairs and give yourself 10 minutes to pack stuff, then go downstairs and give yourself 5 minutes in the kitchen to grab stuff and then go and sit down in the garden pond or similar and then go into the scenario of surviving, because you'll simulate the immediate wet state you'd be in which will direct your survival straight away as your needs will become crytal clear.

find shelter, make camp, get dry, get rescued.

have fun!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dress/equip as if you were going down to the pub, or talking the dog for a walk. Then go to your choosen location instead. Overnight this time of year all you are going to need is a passable shelter, so there is no great need for anything more advanced.

If you can do this, then you will appreciate the knife, the pot, etc. But you will know that you do not actually need them.

Other than clothing ...

Bin bags, blanket, bog roll, first aid paraphernalia, kitchen knife, matches, pot, spoon, plastic bottle, candles, washing line, tucker

This is why emergency kits were invented :)

Next time, try doing it with the contents of your car.

May 16, 2011
Perth
Think i will put this on hold for a few days there is trees falling down all over the place don't fancy being woken up by a tree falling on me. at least it will give me some time to think about what Im wanting to do

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Next time, try doing it with the contents of your car.
Oooooh - I will do that one!

I keep a full set of gear inc a 24hr rat pack in the van at all times ...just in case..... and there is often a canoe on top as well :)
As for "5mins to get out of the house" scenarios .... well that is what the grab bags are for ...in 5 mins I could kit myself out royally!

But then I do admit to being a bit of a "paranoid prepper"

May 16, 2011
Perth
i think ill pass on the car one i dont drive but i suppose i could use the mrs car im sure i could find a use for a load of empty crisp packets, make-up and an ipod

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE