"Out of Town" DVDs Cheap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Popped past Dobbies Garden Centre today and noticed a Jack Hargreaves Out of Town DVD in the cheap films section - then noticed loads of different "Volumes" - in the "3 for £8" section.

Given that the box set of 10 DVDs seems to sell for about £80 for 10 DVDs, getting the same items for £24 seemed a good deal

Not on their website, but if you liked Jack and are passing a Dobbies, may be worth a look :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Funny you should post this up Red as I was just looking him up this morning. Couldn't remember his name when discussing him the other day, used to love catching his programs years ago; he had a lovely way on telly - and the theme tune just lowers the blood pressure. Good find.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I picked some up at that price just before xmas - in our local "Emporium" ... which mainly sells Thorntons chocolates....:confused::rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
he had a lovely way on telly - and the theme tune just lowers the blood pressure. Good find.

He always struck me as a gentle man as well as a gentleman. Which is a pretty good way to be in my view. I know he has his detractors, but I loved his shows as a young guy and, like many more, was introduced to "bygone ways" by him....for which I will be forever grateful :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
He always struck me as a gentle man as well as a gentleman. Which is a pretty good way to be in my view. I know he has his detractors, but I loved his shows as a young guy and, like many more, was introduced to "bygone ways" by him....for which I will be forever grateful :)

Plus one to that; I've never had a TV, even as a kid I didn't get on with them but a friend's father got me to watch one of his shows and I did so for a long time, always with my mates dad who became a lifelong friend
in place of his son...........I learned a great deal from him, and much of it was to do with a gentleness of attitude and demeanour which I find somewhat lacking these days..............

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I started collecting them from Edinburgh Woollen Mill but had to flea bay the last couple, great stuff I use to watch as a lad. Very informative guy.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
My favorite episode is the one about the old boy on the fens, the with his bird nets, punt gun and eel traps.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I used to love watching his programs, both Out of Town and Old Country.

As others have said he had a nice simple way of sharing things with you that made the show so enjoyable.

Pity I don't have Dobbies near us or I'd go along and get the dvd's

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Wow, that's a bargain. Wish there was a place by me. I used to really like watching his programmes as a boy!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just watching an episode showing Ringwood market in the 70s. Smallholders bringing home made butter, wild rabbit, and blackcurrant wine to sell on the market.

Of course they would go to jail for that now (sigh). Shame that - I have many gallons of mead from our bees. Ahhh well nanny knows best :(

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
As you can tell from my avatar Jack made a good impression on me as a boy.

Where's Dobbies? Aha I feel a trip to Shepton Mallet coming on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I've always fancied having a try on a punt gun :) There are still a few in use too !

I recall there were 2 ancient looking ones fastened up on the wall in the Lamb and Flag at Welney.
After seeing that film I got the biography of the old boy (forget his name) He died only about 10 years since well into his 90's. I got the cd of the music as well! I loved that simple little device he used to get the willow laths for his eel traps all the same thckness, very ingenious.

Just watching an episode showing Ringwood market in the 70s. Smallholders bringing home made butter, wild rabbit, and blackcurrant wine to sell on the market.

Of course they would go to jail for that now (sigh). Shame that - I have many gallons of mead from our bees. Ahhh well nanny knows best :(

Was that the episode where there was bundles of split laths for sale, and the auctioner selling turkeys and eggs?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've always fancied having a try on a punt gun :) There are still a few in use too !

A couple of chaps demonstrated one on the lake at the Frampton on Severn Show last year - no shot in it, just powder, but the noise didn't half clear the lake of ducks!

As for JH - loved his shows as a kid and even earned to play "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" on the guitar - can't do it any more...

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
My favorite episode is the one about the old boy on the fens, the with his bird nets, punt gun and eel traps.

there is a good book about excactly that, the life of fenman Ernie James, called ''memoirs of a fen tiger'', a good read (sorry if you already know this)

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Another related good read is " The punt gun adventure" by Collin Willock
its the story of how he and his mate, Jack Hargreaves renovated an old punt gun and punt

sencond the Fen Tigers and also sixty years a fen man, all good reads

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
just watched and enjoyed very much thankyou, that opening shot of him walking down the road with gun openly on display much freer days.

incidentally there is a dvd on ernie james called ''a man between three rivers'' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIoEV6d4qiU

ernie james and punt gun >>
Gran%20%26%20Grandad%20with%20punt%20gun.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE