Once upon a time, in the middle of nowhere... (Pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr_magicfingers

May 15, 2012
London
Wonderful photos, thank you for sharing.

do you take these with a 'proper' camera or with a phone. I see many photos on people's instagrams and wonder what they're taken on. I tend to use my phone as I've not figured out how to take photos on a 'proper' camera and then upload to instagram.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Thank you mr_magicfingers! I take them with my ancient camera that I bought when I sold a horse, in what seems a lifetime ago :)
To upload to Instagram, you have to download your camera photos to your phone first. After that it should be easy to upload them! :) But many people take wonderful photos with their cellphones too!

mr_magicfingers

May 15, 2012
London
Ah, I had thought of that but wondered if there was a more 'technical' answer that the smart folks knew.

I do like the instagram editing features, probably the most user friendly photo editing options out there.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Wonderful photos of a wonderful area!
I think the beavers are active because the trees are getting very "juicy" now? Also the beaver mamas are expecting and need extra food?

Yes, young mutton is so much nicer than lamb. Impossible to get here sadly.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Looking good Arya !

You make it look easy😎 !

Managing all the horse work (13 horses!??) , the stables , dog sitting ,etc as well as the ever growing homestead... pretty much on your own?
👏👏👏
Respect

Max is really handsome too...
Lucky dog.

Happy days , the scenery looks beautiful there too...
The river is wild and looks fast .
Bet theres nice paddling further down .

Thank you for sharing.
Look forward to more of your posts

👍

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Wonderful photos of a wonderful area!
I think the beavers are active because the trees are getting very "juicy" now? Also the beaver mamas are expecting and need extra food?

Yes, young mutton is so much nicer than lamb. Impossible to get here sadly.
Do you ever get home sick Janne? :)

Yes, I think you might be right about the trees being very juicy now. The shavings smell wonderful!
Maybe springtime is redecorating time for beavers as well as humans :p

Too bad you can't get hold of mutton!
I know the farmer well, so I just tell him what I want and he finds what I want.
Very convenient!

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Looking good Arya !

You make it look easy😎 !

Managing all the horse work (13 horses!??) , the stables , dog sitting ,etc as well as the ever growing homestead... pretty much on your own?
👏👏👏
Respect

Max is really handsome too...
Lucky dog.

Happy days , the scenery looks beautiful there too...
The river is wild and looks fast .
Bet theres nice paddling further down .

Thank you for sharing.
Look forward to more of your posts

👍
Thank you so much Leshy! :)

Normally I don't keep more than 9-10 horses, but everybody is in a rush when spring is upon them.
They want their horses tweaked for the new competition season, or they want their youngster ready for the trails when summer comes :)
I do have help with two of the four feeding times a day, so that I can also teach at other stables.

No rest for the wicked! ;)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Yes, I think you might be right about the trees being very juicy now. The shavings smell wonderful!......

This time of year we usually say "the sap is rising.

Thank you so much Leshy! :)

Normally I don't keep more than 9-10 horses, but everybody is in a rush when spring is upon them.
They want their horses tweaked for the new competition season, or they want their youngster ready for the trails when summer comes :)
I do have help with two of the four feeding times a day, so that I can also teach at other stables.

No rest for the wicked! ;)

What sort of training are you doing? General training or for specialized events? if so what events? Rodeo season is happening here now so horses are being trained and ridden for such things as roping, steer wrestling, and barrel racing. The cutting horses are also getting their time but those events are usually separate from rodeo.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
What sort of training are you doing? General training or for specialized events? if so what events? Rodeo season is happening here now so horses are being trained and ridden for such things as roping, steer wrestling, and barrel racing. The cutting horses are also getting their time but those events are usually separate from rodeo.

I do classical dressage and gaited horses :) But my biggest passion is working horses. Using the dressage for a purpose, like combat training, working equitation or Doma vaquera stuff. All the hours spent in educating the horse suddenly becomes useful :)

The Icelandic horse is very popular here, with their extra gaits, so I have a lot of customers in that camp.
Some want to fix a problem or a "problem horse" and others want their young horse broken in, so that they don´t have to risk their own necks in the process. They´ll get a safe horse back home.
Then we have the ones that want to sell a horse, and need some touch up before potential customers come to test it, in hope that it will end in a quick sale.

I love a lot of the typical American disciplines, like the ones you mention. They are so useful!
Except maybe for the rodeo... :lmao: But it is good entertainment nonetheless.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I do classical dressage and gaited horses :) But my biggest passion is working horses.....

....I love a lot of the typical American disciplines, like the ones you mention. They are so useful!
Except maybe for the rodeo... :lmao: But it is good entertainment nonetheless.

Oddly, when I was first reading this post, I thought your reference to "working horses' meant roping or cutting horses. Roping being both a rodeo discipline and a working skill.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Calgary Stampede. The greatest horse show on earth. Put it on your bucket list, it's a full week.

At least three that I know of are a full week:
1) Calgary Stampede (Calgary, Alberta)
2) National Finals (Las Vegas, Nevada)
3) Dixie National (Jackson, Mississippi)

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Oddly, when I was first reading this post, I thought your reference to "working horses' meant roping or cutting horses. Roping being both a rodeo discipline and a working skill.
No, you are right, sort of :) Both Working Equitation and Doma Vaquera are south European versions of the American cowboy. They are disciplines aimed at farm tasks, like cutting, herding, etc.

Endurance riding is also starting to grow here :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE