Old Mans Beard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
C

cod3man

I actually used some this weekend. I live in Canada though- kinda far from Minnesota.

I'd guess you'd be talking about the hair like lichen hanging from trees in very damp areas?
I dry it then rub in balsam resin for firestarting. Unless you use the resin it dampens fast and won't work.
bf4.jpg

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
ok 2 questions

1. the balsom resin, is it just the trupintine in the blisters or bumps on the trunk? or something else?

2 how do you get it in the beard/moss?

thanks
dean

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I'll second that Longstrider, though i have spoken to people who've had no idea what i meant by Old Man's Beard when referring to wild clematis! There's tons of the stuff near me, it takes sparks well but burns very quickly and needs something to take the flame from it.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
bushtuckerman said:
it takes sparks well but burns very quickly and needs something to take the flame from it.

I agree, it needs something else to help it along the way if you want to build a fire as it flares up very quickly but does not sustain the flame for more than a few seconds, but it does jump to flame very readily with a firesteel. From my own experience it's useless as a tinder nest when starting out with a glowing coal like you get from the bow-drill. It simply isn't dense enough to get a flame from the coal until you squash it so tight that it can't burn anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you used it to start fires Abbe?
I have real difficulty making sure it's dry enough to store for dye, let alone getting it dry enough for fire lighting! :confused:
Is it a good thing or does it get used just 'cos it's there ?

Cheers,
Toddy

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:
Have you used it to start fires Abbe?
I have real difficulty making sure it's dry enough to store for dye, let alone getting it dry enough for fire lighting! :confused:
Is it a good thing or does it get used just 'cos it's there ?

Cheers,
Toddy

Yes, its real good in winter. Our winter here is real cold and everything is bone dry. But in my pictures you can see that I use it in summer too.
I like to use it with my firesteal as it takes the sparks real nice. When its wet its useless and birch bark is my choice Most of the time I use a mix. I use the hang moss to catch the sparks and then I put some birch bark on to eat then twigs etc etc.
Fishingtrip-009_fire2.jpg

Fishingtrip-008_fire1.jpg

Fishingtrip-010_fire3.jpg

Fishingtrip-011_fire4.jpg

Fishingtrip-012_fire5.jpg

Hope you can see it the old mans beard in use.

cheers
Abbe

Reactions: Lithril

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
SMARTY said:
We have loads of the stuff on the trees on Bodmin Moor down here. Its called all sorts of names. I use it in tinder bundles . it takes a coal well.
loads of it in the pine woods here in the peak disrict too, and wild sheeps wool , that burns fantastic too, its full of lanolin oil,mixed both together a few times, no problems

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE