old axe resto?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

flatyre

Jan 1, 2018
Co. Down
Hi folks first post here so be gentle, I have a number of old axes I want to re handle over the winter. I plan on using ash as I have plenty of suitable green and seasoned timber in the shed. I would have thought seasoned wood would be best but remember someone saying green is better and to use wood from small branches no more than six inches in diameter, is this correct? and also I have this old axe head which is badly pitted and the poll/butt has taken quite a battering, i'd like to keep it even if its just a wall hanger as I think its got a bit of character, is it worth saving and if so can the mushrooming on the poll/butt be ground off without over heating and weakening it, or have it reshaped in a forge, or even just leave it as is? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks like a pretty simple restoration to me.

No major chips out of the blade and the eye looks to still be true. Bit of mushrooming from abuse on the poll but that will grind out very easily. All you need to do is keep it cool by dunking it in water when it starts to feel too warm to touch.

If you plan to make your own handle the don't even think about using greenwood for it. It's got to be well seasoned wood so it doesn't shrink and let the axe head become loose as it dries.

Good luck with the restoration.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Best to only use seasoned Ash if possible, as greenwood dries out it shrinks so it would lead to the handle becoming loose over time.

No reason why wouldn't be able to use it, should clean up nicely. You'll get even more enjoyment out of using it knowing that you gave it a new lease of life.:)

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
I had a head with poll damage like that with the first axe I restored I just used a file and a lot of elbow grease at the time but now I've got an angle grinder I wouldn't go back and tbh the axe doesn't get too hot unless you really go hard on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE