Oil burning stove build, not exactly bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I'm currently restoring a tractor with extremely worn piston rings and have come into posession of a large amount (60+ litres) of petrol thinned and emulsified engine and gearbox oil.

I'd like to build a small stove/heater for my workshop for during these winter months. I'm a mechanical engineer, not a fabricator so I only have a power drill, small welder and angle grinder, not the perfect kit for attempting such an ambitious project.

If any of you lads have any idea for a design, or previous experience making an small oil burner from as little and as simple components as neccesary, feel free to reply.

Thankyou in advance for your help. :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's the Mother Earth waste oil heater but I can't say I've made one yet. Loads of info on the net for Babbington Burners as well.

If I remember right the main problem with waste oil burners is the feedback loop where the oil gets thinner as it warms and flows faster, that makes it hotter which warms the oil more, which gets thinner and flows faster...

I found a working laboratory diaphragm pump in a skip a while ago and its stroke and pumps per minute could be altered very accurately, I gave it to a mate for him to control a waste oil burner but don't know if he got the burner made or not. It ever had a digital readout that showed its beats per min.
I reckon it would have been ideal for that application as it wouldn't allow the feedback loop to get going.

Last edited:

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
hey guard

lots of videos on youtube for drip fed systems that look nice and basic, it appears they just need pre-heating to get going then you're away

there is a coke can filled with oil using wire wool as a wick that could be scaled up I suppose

if you have access to sawdust check out the sawdust stove - ace! made a small one to try in a 5litre thinners can that fits into the wood burning stove - very effective and maintenance free

if you get anything working post some piccies, love 'shed' engineering

:)

Last edited:

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I've got a long length of copper brake pipe which I suppose could be coiled around the flame as a "Pre-heat", and a small brass tap from a little old steam engine that I could use on the hot side of the pre-heat. This way if the coil was heated up with a blow torch before lighting, the oil should have constant viscosity by the time it gets to the tap.

I was thinking of an old thick walled tobacco tin with pleated metal gauze folded into it as a wick.

I'll gather my materials in the coming week, and give it a shot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE