not cooking, but jerky?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I googled. Weird fish!
Salted and dried. You can maybe get salted and dried Mackerel in an ‘ethnic’ shop in UK.
Those smell.

Doing the leg of lamb is easy, lots of people do it in northern Norway, but the ones I know use slightly older lamb than you can buy in UK.
aha! found it... this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombay_duck

and i found out why it was banned... maybe now that we're leaving the EU it'll be back on the menu... https://www.independent.co.uk/news/bombay-duck-off-the-menu-for-good-1245301.html

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
To the people of the southern United States, BBQ is long, low and slow cooking with woods like mesquite and hickory for smoke.
The time and temperature cannot be hurried. The process renders a huge amount of fat.
At the same time, the really tough connective tendon and sinew breaks down.
One of the best ways to cook food that I know of.

That's my take on BBQ. "Grilling" is hot and fast, something I do with all kinds of game (bison, elk, venison and Canada goose) to avoid leathering the meat.

For BBQ, I do most everything (pork and chickens) for 3 hours, 275F and apple wood smoke in the first hour.
Good dry rub mixes of dried herbs and spices. They don't work for grilling.
Everybody likes apple wood smoke. It must do something to people's appetites.

Think I'll do baked Crab Rangoon for supper. Never one to stick to a plan.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
BBQ is low and slow. Invented in the Caribbean by the Taino or Arawak people. Barbacoa.
In Jamaica they call the food ‘Jerk’.
Pork, chicken. Heaven.

I guess the French took it with them from the Caribbean to their area in today’s US, and the custom stayed.
Good customs stay, bad ones disappear.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What you have to discover is that Canadians tend to think of grilling as BBQ. Fuel type does not matter, it's BBQ outdoors.
I grill bison steaks in marinade, 4 minutes per side. BBQ pork side ribs is 3 hours.

I got lessons from a guy, well connected to the owners of a real BBQ House restaurant with a Pit Boss.
Yes, it's low and slow. If you sell a whole load, the joint can't feed anybody for 12 - 24 hours.
I was there one night when they ran out of all meats except batter-fried catfish. Too funny.

Buy some nice beef mince. Find a herb & spice mix. Make jerky. Go to heaven.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a trick. There are 3 different corn (maize) products: starch, flour and meal.
The starch granules in corn flour do not hydrate like wheat starch so the coating stays crispy.
#1 ingredient in every box of fish batter mix in the store. #1 in my scratch batter for everything ( I change the herbs).
Batter-fried jerky. There's a heart-stopper in the making.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Scots must have been hard up for treats.
I invented deep-fried watermelon. Same dismal concept.

Any batter, for any dish, will be soggy/greasy if you insist on using wheat flour.
Even McGee's culinary dictionary says so. Read the store batter packages.
Took me ages to figure that out ( a winter of experiments).
Now, one size fits all.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Hoping I'm posting this on the most suitable thread... Was just wondering if anyone knows if lamb can be made into jerky? If yes, is it just the lean parts of the meat or can the more fatty bits work too (shoulder etc)?

thanks
The Same people make their Dried Reindeer bits of different cuts, including heart and tongue.
The Fatty meat cuts are favoured by them as they have more taste and are softer to chew.

If you are afraid of the fat going rancid, vacuum pack the Jerky and store in the coldest area of your fridge.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cold lamb fat is the consistency of candle waxes. I can't come at that, no matter how you disguise it.

Maybe if you did a leg, butterflied as above on the BBQ for 3+ hours and THEN made jerky, it might be OK.
I'd grill all the chops and snarf them down with a mint & lemon paste. The big meat could be jerky, if I had no choice.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I doubt they have a fridge at the Bushmoot... just looking for ways to process the various cuts of lamb if there aren't enough people to do a group-buy for one meal... If it turns out there are only three or four of us buying a whole or half a lamb, i was just trying to think of ways to preserve it whilst still in the woods, unless we all decide to just cook and share the lot... great ideas. Thanks folks. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What ever you have, try to render it into as even strips as you can. Think smoking fish.

You want one hello of a smokey but small fire and no wind. Expect the fat to turn orange.
Cut into the meat after several hours = look for a pink layer in the meat, just under the surface. That's the "smoke ring."
It's a good indication that your smoking and drying process is working well.

Reactions: boubindica

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Just one more thing: Bring plenty of salt and pepper ( + spices ?) in case you do smoke.
Tastes better.
Pure dried meat can be a bit bland, even lamb.

If you can get an older lamb those are nicer to eat.

Reactions: boubindica

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a thousand internet recipes for dry rubs and wet mops for BBQ and smoking/.drying meats.
BBQ cook books are full of those. I traded my bread and pizza formulas for some really good stuff.

Cut the sugar back to 1/4 of what the recipe says. Try it. Then decide if the next batch should be sweeter.
One is heavy cumin for birds, one has espresso coffee and orange zest in it for beef.
They are home-runs. I guess what you guys would call "hitting a six."

I have 7 different dry herb/spice rubs. Four of those get used every week or two.
I have worked my way through 17 different gasser Grills. Three are configured as BBQ smokers.
Two others are just fast grills. Not sure what has happened to the others.

I'm positive that you all have some sort of oven in your kitchens. Just do it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I made a smoker some years back by attaching one of those small portable grills to the side of the big grill, the side where that rotary went is. After removing the vent.
Just drilled a couple of holes and used bolts and nuts.

Cold smoking - coal bed and wood/leaves in small grill, coals placed away from large drill side..
Hot smoking - coal bed in small grill, larger than above, plus a small coal bed in large grill, away from meat.

Then Nature took over and everything turned to its previous state, Iron Oxide.

I then bought an electric smoker.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The 2-burner gassers that I've cut up for a fire side and a food side are all aluminum shell, 2-burner jobs.
When one side rots, I'll just turn everything around! A new, cheap universal burner is $20.00 here.
They usually install with a single screw or bolt (Bless my Dremel to cut the rust.)
As long as the gas valves turn smoothly in a garage-sale special, you're good to go.
Yes, Momma, a propane-fired BBQ grill runs absolutely fine at -10C and 36" snow.

While a kitchen oven works really well, I got hooked on the added wood smoke, apple wood in particular.
A "wet mop" is a really sloppy marinade that you brush on periodically. Too much fuss and bother.
But, I should try it on some oven pork adventure in the kitchen. Get one with lots of apple in it.

The Breville smoker pistol does not deliver enough smoke for long enough to do a strong job.
You know it's there but just barely. Plus the house stinks but better than tobacco.
More of theatrical value in front of company.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE