Newby

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
Hey my names Connor and I live on the Merseyside
Hopefully going camping this year so hope to get a a bit involved with bushcraft this summer
Slowly getting a kit together from the a backpack upwards :)
Can anybody give me any tips from what to take, wear or do whilst out there?I know some stuff but learning more means carrying less:D

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Welcome, you'll get lots of good advice 'round these parts. The problem I've found is that knowing more means buying more!:) There's lots of Luurvley stuff out there!

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
get a mora clipper for a start. then you should really get a first aid kit.
then some fire stuff like a ferro rod/flint and steel (or a lighter :D)
sleeping bag and DD hammock/some kind of tent/tarp/basha?
walking boots and some durable clothes
then an axe? (Gransfors Bruks/wetterlings/hutlafors/cegga) or a saw? (bahco laplander/silky) or a billhook/kukri/parang?

cant think of much else, though i think i have missed something important...

welcome to the forum anyway :D

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
got myself a clipper! great piece of kit I stumbled upon, hopefully buying a backpack from an asian company 'rescuer' soon
my flint and steels in the post :D
got a mummy bag but gonna get an upgrade from tesco soon
not sure baout a decent pair of boots sadly! any particular brand?
would a saw or axe be better? I know wilkinsons sell hatchets for a tenner but folding saws are the same on ebay

thanks alot

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Can I go against the grain here as if you are young and in merseyside you don't want to be carrying a 4" fixed blade. Get a good sub 3" non locker and keep it in your bag when travelling to avoid trouble.
Apart from that you'll get good advice from everyone here :)

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
doesnt matter, amongst the rest of the kit the knife is not an offensive weapon unless you use it as such. im 16 in a rough bit of the local area and have never had any trouble, even transporting guns to the car out the front of our house. dont worry about it if what you are doing is legal, your 18, so can carry a knife legally (just read the laws on knives so if you are questioned by a copper you know as much/more than them).
first aid kit, well, steri strips make up about 40% of my kit because of how likely i am to cut myself (they see regular use :D ). basically, do a little risk assessment of what you are likely to do to yourself. i would say cuts and scrapes are high on the list (so, steri strips, plasters,antiseptic cream etc) , then burns (cooling packs/cream), then broken bones and sprains (well i have done neither but have got a concussion, basically prepare for a hard fall, not much you can do if your on you are alone).
IMPORTANTLY: make sure people know you are going and when you are returning, and the best bit of first aid kit you can have is a mobile phone (with credit and reception), and someone with you (though not necessary).

just read through the forum, theres loads of important stuff, and you can be fairly confident after only a few weeks/months if you read a lot of the stuff and ask questions about the bits you dont understand (also, read the abbreviations bit, some can be confusing)

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Not meant to be condescending, just aware of the world we live in, very easy to be seen as a scrotum! I'm 25 and still debate carrying a fixed blade, It's not just about age :)
As for axe vs saw, I like axes but you will pack lighter with a folding saw and just baton a few bits for starting a fire.

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
fair play :) I guess a knife wouldn't be priority on day trips
Saw a couple of folding spades/pick/saw/axe on ebay and there price pretty well
May be a sound investment

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Hi Connor, Welcome to BCUK. If you are going camping I would suggest a ground mat if you dont have one already. Closed cell foam (5 Seasons) are light and warm, if you have a bit more cash I would suggest a self inflating matress.

Regards,
Calurix

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hello and welcome!

All good advice so far. - Ebay and the classifieds on here are a good place for bargains!

I'd reiterate what others have said about keeping your knife in the pack.

As for the axe/saw thing - I'd go for a saw first. Much easier to use, quicker and leaves a clean cut.

All the best
Andy

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
fair play :) I guess a knife wouldn't be priority on day trips
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
i suppose you can go without, but a knife is so necessary for so many things. even a little non locking sub 3" knife is better than nothing!
i am lost without at least one knife on me in normal day to day life! i cant imagine going camping without one.

Anyway, how would you be getting to the places you want to camp? if its by car then weight isnt an issue, so you can take whatever you want, if you want to keep it light then a saw would be better. you could even simply take a bow saw blade and make a saw! personally, on a "lightweight" trip the sharps i take are: cold steel trail hawk, bahco laplander, mora "bushcraft", svord peasant, and unless it was a particularly long walk i would also have my magnum machete and cegga axe.
dont ask how much i take when im going by car, it might make the forum crash :D

to sum that up, take your mora.

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
the saw sounds good, wire saws look pretty good and light but a folding one would be just as good
well im considering getting a chinese army shovel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o
At first I was crying because of the music but it seems like a good piece of kit. Could always get the cheaper versions on ebay too
The ground mat would be a great idea im lucky to finding a silver plated roll mat last leeds festival
The mora seems great, I gotta learn more about sharpening high carbon steel I have never tried sharpening a blade I guess im spooked with carrying it now :togo:
The odds are it will be trains and bikes to camping areas
The UK's too packed for cars+starting driving at 18 is insanely expensive. Imagine the money I can save!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Hello and welcome to the forum mate, as for kit ..........I would'nt bother with the chinese shovel thing to be honest, the one on youtube was doctored specially for the video ie sharpened edge etc...can you imagine how sharp an edge it would have after digging a latrine.........nah forget it.
Things to get are something to sleep in (best you can afford so spend good money don't scrimp here) good sleeping kit is absolutly essential so get a 3 season minimum but preferrably a 4.
Something to cook with and boil water including pots, plates or even better, bowls, and don't forget eating utensils.... quality don't matter really Hobo stoves are great.
Something to shelter in....... Could be a tarp & hammock or bivvi or a tent and camp bed or pick & mix of both, and some sort of insulation for beneath you.
Something to carry it all in
Knife, Axe or machete and or saw.
Something to carry water and maybe something to filter it with if taking it from the wild rather than carrying it in.
Warm clothing, good waterproof clothing.
First aid kit........doesn't have to be massive a few plasters, a couple of dressings, a triangular bandage, and meds for yourself like paracetamol
The rest is down to choice........if you walk a lot, a decent pair of boots and so on but these are the basics
Get yourself onto a couple of local meets with others in your area the guys will be happy to show off what they carry and why and you will soon make up your own mind as to what you want. A good tip to save a bit of money is to keep your eyes on the group buy threads as these will provide good kit at discounted bulk buying prices. However a note of caution many of us are kit monsters and spend a fortune on shiny kit which those of us who will admit it, hardly ever sees the light of day after one outing so think "Do I need or do I just want this item" BEFORE YOU BUY!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE