New toy for me!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 1, 2013
England
Further to my original introduction thread, I've my Swedish mess kit has now arrived!

For many years I've used a Kelly Kettle when out and about on the trap line. It has served me well, but I had a few minor irritations with it.

One problem was fuel. I don't have a handy camp site in some nice woodland; I'm usually either in the middle of a windswept field, or tucked away in a gateway when it comes to brew up time. I also wanted the ability to heat up a bit of soup, or make something else warm and filling to eat.

Anyway, I considered forking out for a cookset to go with the Kelly, but after a bit of research, decided that the Swedish kit looked like the best option for me.

After a few hours of reading and searching on-line, I found this: http://this (Link) which seemed to fit the bill.

I duly ordered, and parted with my hard earned dosh on Saturday, and it arrived today.

On first inspection it was quite dirty, which was no surprise, and to be fair, as it was described. I gave it a good clean, and fired it up on the top of the cooker here at home.

Well, what can I say? A fantastic bit of kit that boiled up in what seemed like no time at all.

So that leads me to ask; does anyone have any tips for using this smashing bit of equipment?

Tinribs75

Dec 7, 2012
London
It's a great bit of kit. I found the handle and hook arrangement annoying when it flapped around so now keep it in my car with a bungee rope wrapped round it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Thay are a great bit of kit, I had one for many years only moved it on as I wanted something smaller so I got a woodgas.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
There are a few recipes as well as good historical info on this site:
joyoffieldrations.blogspot.co.uk/

For myself, I have taken to boiling a boil-in-the-bag sachet ('Look What we Found' range is good) still within the pierced sachet then using the boiled water to make tea or hot choc. So one burn makes both food and drink. By doing this, it means less washing up if you eat out of the sachet with a spoon.

I also use a coke can stove rather than the brass one as it is quicker and lighter and use the top pot as a mug. Putting duct tape over the edge makes lip burn less likely.

You can just about fry a couple of sausages in the small pot but it's a bit of a faff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE