New Mountain Hardware Sleeping bags.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
There have been lots of threads about sleeping bags of late, Mountain Hardware have announced some new Synthetic bags, called "Hyperlaminar".

Thought this may be of interest to those of us who don't use down.

They looks quite nice, tho they do appear to only come in ORANGE or YELLOW and the like :( I may email them later asking if they could perhaps do a green version...

J

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I have down and synthetic bags. One of my synthetic is the preceding model to their new range which was the "UltraLamina" which are one of the best synthetic bags you can get as it has close to down warmth/weight/compactness ratio.

I'll be having a look into their new models :)

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Lol. First there was "UltraLaminer" then "HyperLaminer" - I am concerned they'll run out of superlative prefixes for the next one. ..

MegaLaminer?

Sounds like they hired the Gillette marketing team.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I don't mean to start adown vs syntetic dispute, just expressing my view.
I love syntetics for their low maintenance, but can't live with the fact they degrade so fast in performance. £150-£200 is quite an investment for me and to have it reduced to almost nothing in 4-5 seasons is unberable. So for budget stuff to abuse only syntetic, for decent expensive stuff only down as it will last 10-20 years.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Really, useless in four to five years ? Do all synthetic bags degrade that much that fast ? I am surprised if thats the case, my thirty year old Spitzbergen is still a good two season bag and it was only a three season when new ...........

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I know primaloft is quite resistant to this as it imitates natural down. But the biggest problem is tearing of the syntetic insulation inside a sleeping bag. Stuffing, folding and moving during the night breaks it down. From my experience all syntetics after few years go flat significantly, I never had a high end syntetic bag though.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I know primaloft is quite resistant to this as it imitates natural down. But the biggest problem is tearing of the syntetic insulation inside a sleeping bag. Stuffing, folding and moving during the night breaks it down. From my experience all syntetics after few years go flat significantly, I never had a high end syntetic bag though.

There's your problem :rolleyes:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've had a black on black two for 15 years and it's still going strong, I don't sue it all the time but it's been used a lot and stored a lot....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE