new home made stove, smoker and heater fire box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Been playing today with a few basic hand tools and a grinder and a bag of bolts. The idea was to make a smaller than I normaly use fire box. It has to be a foot off the ground so i can take it to camps. Two doors so i can use it as a heater with the doors open and directing the heat at me. I love the idea of adding a smoking compartment to it. I also like the idea of it being totaly free of costs.

so here we are the basic , mark one prototype cooking oil tin cooker ( needs a better name)

standard 20 litre metal oil drums where i live in New Dehli are every where to be collected, these three came from next door.

one for the fire box one for the smoker one for the bits and pieces i need to use a flanges etc.

a handfull of M6 bolts and nuts steel pop rivits rather than aliminium rivits would be quicker .

what we have here is the fire barrel and the insert that will become the door flang to keep the smoke in!!
PIC_2883.jpg

this is the basic finished shape and idea.
PIC_2885.jpg

the legs are 20mm square angle iron from a skip the reason why there is a piece in the middle of the door way is because i cut the doors to wide and it all went a little soft when we added the smoker chamber

PIC_2886-1.jpg

as you can see the natural stacking of the tins makes for a good fit ontop for the smoking chamber.

I need to find a tube to use as a chimney but we tried it tonight as a test and its ok,

we need to add door air vents so we can shut the doors and use a chimney better. we are also going to have to eat alot of baked beens this week so i can make the chimney

i like the idea of making the legs fit with wing nuts so it can be broken down more and the inside of the fire can has had the base and the top from the scrap can added to it, loosly thrown in to give the base some more wear, my son recons a base of sand an inch thick will to help preserve the base bottom.

there will be no fancy black spray or such like as its only a prototype and there fore disposible

Last edited:
i am planning a few nights out this coming weekend so i do need some form of heat on the go. i used to use a fifty gallon drum lid its about two foot round and had three legs to hold it of the ground so there was no ground scortch to worry about but it was getting burnt out and need replacing so i have tried a few new ideas to play with

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE