New fjallraven numbers overpriced!?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to love my Fjallraven gear - rucksacks, trousers jackets etc - but I find now that the cost is not reflected in the performance.
I have transfered my alegiance more to 5.11 from whom I am yet to get a duff bit of kit ... and I have tested a lot of their stuff now , from boots and torches to trousers and packs. It has all proved VFM and comfortable.
I do still have some Fjallraven stuff that gets a regular usage - a couple of pairs of trousers that seem everlasting and their Vintage packs are regular users in particular - but these are all a few years old now but going strong!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm tempted to get a pair of rugged mountain before they are discontinued this year - madness....

I do have a couple of pairs of rugged fjell and they are superb. Haglofs are superb kit, but a little less fire friendly.

I'm thinking the same :)

Found a pair of large for £111 so might have to grab them sharpish

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Funnily enough, I've got a pair of rohan shoes on as I type - TK Maxx £30! Can't remember which ones, but after initial break-in, excellent indeed.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I used to love my Fjallraven gear - rucksacks, trousers jackets etc - but I find now that the cost is not reflected in the performance.
I have transfered my alegiance more to 5.11 from whom I am yet to get a duff bit of kit ... and I have tested a lot of their stuff now , from boots and torches to trousers and packs. It has all proved VFM and comfortable.
I do still have some Fjallraven stuff that gets a regular usage - a couple of pairs of trousers that seem everlasting and their Vintage packs are regular users in particular - but these are all a few years old now but going strong!

5.11 went to China, Fjallraven havn't

'tis the way of the world....

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

I have a 511 baseball cap, and it certianly matches up to it's 'made in china' tag! £12 I think it cost, and although it does look pretty decent it actually doesn't sit right. You literally need to wear it on your eyebrows to keep it secure and the firm plastic wire lining has needle like tips that are unpleasant, I had to remove mine with my teeth..

Nearly all the big names are sell outs who produce cheaply made inadequate products to the gullables with big wallets! Spair yourself the time, money and embarresment and just buy normal clothes that don't break the bank (or at the crotch even though you spent £100 pounds on them!).

If you really need specific outdoors stuff to abuse, get ex forces/army.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
I have just worn a hole on the inner thigh in my Karl trousers from last year
This has to be the last pair for me sadly!
I just cant justify buying FR trouser no more. They wear out to fast and I have ripped the crotch seams in every pair i've ever had. But darn they are comfy:)
Because of this I was surfing the web for fjallraven stuff, just to have a look at what i will be missing in the future :)

Then i came across the new Numbers series...
I belive an "OMG!" is appropriate 375£ for a single (double in places) layer Anorak! 350£ for a wool cardigan and the list goes on.
What happend?
FR used to be expensive but this is ridiculous. What justifies those prices?

Marketing, bearing in mind that most FR products are not entirely made in Sweden. Same goes for Norrona (made in China) and Bergans (Made in Vietnam).

On the other hand, Mountain Equipment Co-Op' online shop states where each of her products are made.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/Navigation/MEC_Global/ShopMEC.jsp

Hopefully, some day FR and the rest will adopt this trend.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Snickers floorlayers keks, plenty pockets and hardwearing.

Funny you should mention them. I've some timberland work trousers, that are mint for woods. They are bombproof, dry quick if soaked. I stopped wearing them and in the process just abaht killed my fjallravens by wearing them in place of them :eek:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a 511 baseball cap, and it certianly matches up to it's 'made in china' tag! £12 I think it cost, and although it does look pretty decent it actually doesn't sit right. You literally need to wear it on your eyebrows to keep it secure and the firm plastic wire lining has needle like tips that are unpleasant, I had to remove mine with my teeth..

Nearly all the big names are sell outs who produce cheaply made inadequate products to the gullables with big wallets! Spair yourself the time, money and embarresment and just buy normal clothes that don't break the bank (or at the crotch even though you spent £100 pounds on them!).

If you really need specific outdoors stuff to abuse, get ex forces/army.
Well - anyone who wears a baseball cap gets what they deserve! Horrid nasty things! :)
I wear my 5.11 not just for the woods but nearly all the time - at work for Mencap, general day to day wear, in the woods for fun and when in the woods for pay.
Smart, tough, practical and comfortable - other than clothing I make myself nothing gets more all round wear than my 5.11s!
When it turns into yet another "fashion" label then I will have to find a better one again!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Have to say i agree with the general gist of Samons last post,quality in just about everything in high street clothing is going or has gone down hill, if i can help it i wont buy anything made in China as most of it tends to be crap,and not cheap we pay now for shoddy stuff what we used to pay for decent made clothing of decent materials.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was waiting for British Red to comment on baseball caps but you beat him to it John lol Very practical headware, keeps my head and specs dry, sun from your eyes, come in every colour know to man not just green, brown or black etc :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...and specs dry, sun from your eyes..."

Keeps the sun out of your eyes? You are obviously not wearing it properly. :)

2vH7g.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Well - anyone who wears a baseball cap gets what they deserve! Horrid nasty things! :)
I wear my 5.11 not just for the woods but nearly all the time - at work for Mencap, general day to day wear, in the woods for fun and when in the woods for pay.
Smart, tough, practical and comfortable - other than clothing I make myself nothing gets more all round wear than my 5.11s!
When it turns into yet another "fashion" label then I will have to find a better one again!

:rolleyes: Amittedly, basebal caps have a tendancy to make people look like chavvy and/or stupid. But, they are practical and it does control my viking mane when I don't have a bandana nearby!

I am actually looking at upgrading somepoint, but I can't think of a hat that will look normal yet still do everything my strangely desinged 5.11 hat will..

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
For real practicality, you need the Japanese WW2-type/Foreign Legion ones, with the neck-protector fabric built-in at the back. However, they just look plain weird to the average citizen:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE