Nessmuk style axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
Just wondering what the benefits were of Nessmuk style axes as opposed to single bitted ones. I'd like to purchase a decent axe, probably from Gary at Bearclaw, but wanted to know what other members thought...any suggestions?

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have a Nessmuk double bit made by Lee Reeves. The different edge angles give me a fine edge and a steeper edge.

reevefox31758ua.jpg

In reality for my usual work, where I use a short hand ax, I think I prefer a single bit with a poll. I have not found the choice of edge angle to really matter for me, but Nessmuk spent a lot of time building shelters, browse beds, and a host of other things that just are not part of my woods experiences.

My GB Hunter's Ax is my favorite in this range. The smooth poll is great for pounding cedar bark for tinder nests and the size and shape of this ax coupled with the fine edge is perfect for my uses.

I love having the Reeves Nessmuk ax but do not find the choice of bits all that important to me.

I am going to probably order a Reeves Single Bit next year. His ax work is perfect.

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
Thanks fro that Schwerk - that's a beautiful axe there, bud. Lovely knife too. I guess then, for general bushcraft/camp craft a single bitted axe would suffice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE