Need I say more?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Hi guys

Is there a technical reason why a message needs to be 10 characters or longer?

Sometimes a very short and simple reply is all that's needed (such as 'agreed' or 'Thanks') and I end up adding dots to fill up the character requirement.

It's just a little thing but could it be even littler ;) :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Is there a technical reason why a message needs to be 10 characters or longer?

Sometimes a very short and simple reply is all that's needed (such as 'agreed' or 'Thanks') and I end up adding dots to fill up the character requirement.
The reason it was put in was because so many people were putting in posts with just 'agreed' or 'Thanks' etc just to boost there posting count..... it would be better if people who post actually contributed to the thread instead of just posting to increase their post count...... if you have nothing to contribute to the thread, then why post??

That was the reason behind it.... I hope you understand. BCUK is first and formost an infomation resource, in the old days there was little social chat. just pure infomation.... but thing evolve.... and things have got alot more social and chatty here.

:)
Ed

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Ed said:
The reason it was put in was because so many people were putting in posts with just 'agreed' or 'Thanks' etc just to boost there posting count..... it would be better if people who post actually contributed to the thread instead of just posting to increase their post count......
Beats me why people would want to boost their posting count?
Seriously, I don't get it. Is there some benefit to that I don't know about?
A free gift or something? :D

Ed said:
... if you have nothing to contribute to the thread, then why post??
Because 'agreed' or 'Thanks' in isolation are used for closure. It seems polite to thank someone for their contribution if they've been helpful or answered a question you've posted. Or, if you share a view with someone you've been conversing with, to simply let them know that you agree.

Ed said:
BCUK is first and formost an infomation resource, in the old days there was little social chat. just pure infomation.... but thing evolve.... and things have got alot more social and chatty here.
Yes there is clearly a desire to share the 'love' of Bushcraft and the sense of comradery as well as the essential practical knowledge. I think that's what draws so many people to this site.

Ed said:
That was the reason behind it.... I hope you understand.
Not a problem. Like I said, it was just a little thing :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I'm gald you understand... maybe it will change in the future.... who knows

Beats me why people would want to boost their posting count?
Seriously, I don't get it. Is there some benefit to that I don't know about?
A free gift or something?
Me niether... nope, you don't get anything for a higher posting count........ but some of the members do..... who knows why.... hence the 10 character minimum !!

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE