Natural v.s. Synthetic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Hello all. I have recently been checking the outdoor gear I own and am surprised that the vast majority of it is synthetic. This includes clothing also. There was a time when most of it was from natural materials. The only things I have left that are natural are a WWII British rucksack, and a Cdn. ammo pouch from when I was in the Services.
Factors I've considered in purchasing either/or have been:
Cost
Functionality
Durability
Performance
Availability
Visual Appeal
Weight
And more recently,sustainability/enviromental impact.
So I guess it depends which items we're talking about, but synthetics seem to win hands down these days.
That said, what items in your kit are natural, and what synthetic, and why do you prefer them to be so. Leaving out wooden spoons that you craft and kuksa's ;)
Cheers
Alex

OliveDrabnotDPM

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 11, 2007
North Yorkshire
I'm trying to move away from synthetics at the moment, but I do have a lot of them.
Two main reasons:
1 - Synthetics burn easily by the fire
2 - My skin doesn't like fleece, especially hats!

clgladiator

Oct 24, 2007
East Sussex / Hampshire
I have a mixture, I have both synthetic and natural coats, generally both types preform very well though the synthetic ones are lighter and more waterproof (need less reproofing) whereas the natural ones are heavier, more durable and less waterproof (need reproofing more often).

As a general rule i just get the best i can afford/ what i like the look of :)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Having used synthetic kit for many years the past 6 months have been a change of direction for me, wool baselayers and jumpers/sweatshirts and now a change of outer jacket, trousers are a different matter, have not found anything that would do better than the combats and fleece lined hunting pants i currently use, but i am using merino boxers underneath now. Main reason for the change is that synthetic baselayers and fleeces smell after not too long, not good on longer trips or when mixing with civilisation after a weekend in the woods..... Also the campfire sparks have ruined anough kit over the years, so things have had to change.
Will still be using modern materials for my rucsacs etc due to the backwards design of the cotton versions :tapedshut and i only use down bags, but then again they all have synthetic outers :11doh:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a mix of both really, many of my synthetics come from my walking and wild camping days where weight and performance were key factors in the choice of clothing I purchased.
Since I`ve migrated over to more "bushcraft" related shenanigans I`ve aquired a few more natural layers, particularly outer layers to be worn in camp. I suppose one of the key reasons for buying natural fibres is they don`t burn as easily as man made fibres, most nights I will end up sat around a fire of some description so it`s nice to know I won`t be going home full of holes the next day.
I don`t think you can beat the performance of modern garments for things like waterproofing/ windproofing/ drying times and weight so they shouldn`t be disregarded altogether. There are some great synthetic garments out now to be found which are both quiet and flame retardent.

Rich

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Coming from a backpacking, walking and camping background most of my gear is synthetic. But like others I am sick of burning holes in jackets or melting areas of fleece so am moving more to natural materials.

I have just bought (EDIT: just? 3 months now! how time flies) a Westwinds/Tamarack Ventile smock and now wear it in preference to my Tahr! Have also made the move to merino base layers as it is not as smelly after an extended period.

Other synthetic kit will be phased out and replaced with natural as and when needed!

Simon

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm the other way around, most of my gear is natural if you exclude the metal bits.

For me it's not about performance but feel and aesthetics. I just don't like plastic.

Leather_Bags.jpg

I do pay for it a bit with weight though. :11doh:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Synthetics do normally weigh less, but they have no soul! I very rarely wear my goretex jacket that I paid a small fortune for a year or two back. Hat wise, I have a Tilley and cowboy hat made in canvas and felt respectively. I have a watch cap in wool and the Lowe Alpine mountain cap. So, three natural and one synthetic, al;though the mountain cap takes some beating. It is one piece of synthetic kit that I really do like to use.

I am wearing a lot of woolen kit lately, my wife has recently bought me two more Dockers shirts and two Pendleton shirts. I also have a Swanni Ranger and a Johnsons Cotton Mills jacket, a very warm woolen jacket and a firm favourite! Once my second tin of wax turns up, I will finish the reproofing of my stockmans coat, again made from natural materials such as cotton and wool (lining).

My favourite pack at the moment has to be my Swedish M39 bag. The leather has been worked to soften it and proofed with a leather waterproofing wax. Once the Stockmans is proofed, any excess will be used on the bag. I have woolen mittens with a canvas and leather outer glove. Very warm for winter use. I own some canvas gaiters, waterproof and thornproof too. Boots are leather and rubber. Socks are woolen. Pants are none of your business! :nana:

Sleeping kit and shelter kit, on the other hand, are synthetic, as is my larger bergen. POncho coming from Jack and Aussie Hootchie are nylon, but very good. Snugpak bags need no explaining and thermarests, hammocks and underblankets are all synthetic. (In fact, not sure on the hammock. Is it silk, or nylon?) I have woolen blankets though which are great for around the fire on a cold night.

Bottles tend to be plastic as they are light and strong and I cannot really see an alternative other than a skin! Lights are a mixture of both, candle lantern made from brass and head torches from plastic. Cordage tends to be synthetic, paracord is just so versatile.

I have a big tendency towards leather and canvas, but sometimes the new synthetic stuff is best. You have to temper your choice with a bit of common sense.

Like most here I mix and match, haveing wandered into bushcraft from other pursuits like climbing and mountaineering, for mountain use I still lean to synthetic materials.
Bushcraft though by nature leans to more subdued colourways, and quieter clothing that said it's still about weight, cost versus longevity and what will actually fit me, 6'7'' is not the average size, so it's either pay through the nose, or take hobsons choice in a sale as price, or lack of has become much more of a factor of late, I take hobsons choice.
Cheers Tim

There seems to be a theme here - quite a few of us have been doing outdoors stuff for some time, but the emphasis has been on climbing, hillwalking, standing around with a camera and tripod getting cold/wet/bored/hungry:D - the gear we have bought for these kinds of pursuits are almost exclusively synthetic ... I guess the exception for me are woollen baselayers. What makes me more interested in natural fibres are things like fire resistance and "quietness". However, I can't justify going out and replacing a perfectly functional piece of kit while there is still life in it.

Looking back at your post again ... you asked what items were natural or synthetic and why ...

Well, off the top of my head the only natural items are woollen baselayers and cotton (quick drying) trousers (for comfort, breathability, warmth, drying etc). All my other stuff is synthetic simply because that was what was available in the shops and because they came with good gear reviews.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
the other argument in favour of synthetics is that they're a lot easier to find to try on. I'm gonna be most reluctant to shell out nigh on £200 or more for a jacket if I can't try it on first.
Within easy driving distance of me I have at least 5 really good outdoors shops, none of whom stock ventile etc. Makes it a whole lot easier to decide on a synthetic jacket.

I have to admit I've been going towards more natural kit these days for bushcrafting, merino baselayers, wool jumpers, Swanndri Mosgiel etc
I do have lots of synthetic kit too for mountain walking. I also have synthetic gear for the Search and Rescue team I'm in, but that's for a different purpose altogether.
IMHO you have to tailor what you wear for what you do. The natural stuff has it's place just as the synthetic stuff has it's place. With mountaineering the synthetics win as they are made for that purpose, with Bushcrafting the naturals are best as they are harder wearing and have stood the test of time. With the Search and Rescue I normaly use a merino baselayer with synthetic shell(Icebreaker merino and Keela jackets and trousers) so I think I get the best of both worlds.

Have a look at what we do
www.newsar.org.uk

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Am pretty much the same as everyone else here with a mix of natural and synthetic. Agree with TallMike, I waited until I was going to be near a Ventile stockist before I bought my Westwinds jacket, am glad I did as the size I would have thought to go for didn't fit as well as I expected.

As a slight aside, don't know if anyone remembers this story from last year ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5076634.stm

... I like that it vindicates the use of natural materials in the harshest of environments. Modern synthetics are much lighter and usually less expensive, but I do tend towards natural, purely as a personal preference. Then again I'm not likely to be climbing Everest anytime soon.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
the other argument in favour of synthetics is that they're a lot easier to find to try on. I'm gonna be most reluctant to shell out nigh on £200 or more for a jacket if I can't try it on first.
Within easy driving distance of me I have at least 5 really good outdoors shops, none of whom stock ventile etc. Makes it a whole lot easier to decide on a synthetic jacket.

Yup, this is the big problem with trying to find more natural clothing, being in London doesnt help, loads of climbing/walking suppliers but try finding a waxed jacket or wool coat (though the Rohan shop's a little better this season) to try on its almost impossible, Grrrrr.
Though to be honest with the exception of Merino baselayers the market is pretty small and we should be glad the internet atleast gives us the choice. :rolleyes:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
waaay back in the 80's there used to be a company called Survival Aids who had a shop just off Euston station. They always used to do a load of more bushcraft type stuff (when I was on the army a lot of us used to buy stuff from them); ventile, wool, lundhag boots etc. Guess they must've shut down years ago...

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
that could be them, IIRC they had a store in Penrith as well (ain't age a bitch? Seems like only yesterday I was in the London branch buying some stuff, must be nearly 18 years ago now!!!!!).

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Andy e, that's a real interesting story on Everest and natural clothing.
A few of you have mentioned something about not being able to try on jackets and other items of clothes before you buy them...is this some sort of peculiar British custom, us Canadians are unaware of? ;) Truthfully though what gives?
Cheers
Alex

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We all have our own personal "Everests" to face - it is nice to see that we will be better off facing them in clothing that potentially is less damaging to mother earth.
Mind you, my new drysuit will be made from synthetics.......I could never aford a made to measure Ventile imersion suit however much I would like one.......:sigh:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
A few of you have mentioned something about not being able to try on jackets and other items of clothes before you buy them...is this some sort of peculiar British custom, us Canadians are unaware of? ;) Truthfully though what gives?
Cheers
Alex

you can try stuff on when buying from a shop, however buying mail order is more difficult to try before you buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE