N Scotland Trip Ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Basically, me and some friends are thinking of doing a decent size trip. Ideally, we want something totally remoted, forested, and with a decent sized river/loch (salmon). We're hoping the walk in should be 1 day max, although we could cycle. Planning to stay there for up to 4 nights. Proximity to game would be good, and some decent cliffs too. Based on these specs, how does NH 243 381 or there abouts seem? Anyone been there? Looks pretty tempting. Planning to go in the summertime (midges!) but we can just wear repellant and net all the time.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Basically, me and some friends are thinking of doing a decent size trip. Ideally, we want something totally remoted, forested, and with a decent sized river/loch (salmon). We're hoping the walk in should be 1 day max, although we could cycle. Planning to stay there for up to 4 nights. Proximity to game would be good, and some decent cliffs too. Based on these specs, how does NH 243 381 or there abouts seem? Anyone been there? Looks pretty tempting. Planning to go in the summertime (midges!) but we can just wear repellant and net all the time.

fishy1, had a look at your proposed site, certainly a beautiful area, and I hope these comments are helpful. I would suggest further south in, say, Glen Affric. Easier access and better options if the weather changes. Certainly forested. I would be careful of the 'river/loch (salmon)' bit unless though you have a permit as fishing for these would be illegal without one. To stay legal would be quite expensive as a rule! Same for the game, a stalker and a permit would also be needed. Midges come fror free and you would get your fair share amongst the trees in this area. Best to camp on a knoll, or somewhere where there is a chance of a breeze. Grown men have been known to cry because of the midge and some people are more attractive than others as far as the midge is concerned.:)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
That is really not wild enough to avoid gamekeeprs etc. Think about walking at least a day in.

Good advice re midges though, you may not last three calm nights.

What about the lochs NW and West of here NG 94882 06646, Kinloch Hourn.

Nick

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Does anyone in that case have any suggestions as to places that reliably would avoid others, are forested, and have decent water + fish? Thanks Shaman for the offer.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I was wondering about on maps, and thought maybe NH001364? Seems fairly deserted. Trouble is all the big forests/big rivers have roads/people near them.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Ok Have looked at my maps, as I was hoping to go look at some sites.

Could any one with grid refs double check there Eastings and nortings and post back thanks.

Foot note can arrange use of Glen Afric youth hostel out of season as a fall back.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Ok Have looked at my maps, as I was hoping to go look at some sites.

Could any one with grid refs double check there Eastings and nortings and post back thanks.

Foot note can arrange use of Glen Afric youth hostel out of season as a fall back.

Is that my easting and northings?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Oh yeah sure would it help if I described what the loc looked like on the map? i used a computer program which finds the grid refs for you anyways, but here goes:

1) a bit busy i think

NH 243 381

about 1km SE of braulen lodge, close to river farrar

2) NH001364 At the top of river ling, where uisge dubh and reidh breac meet, forest 200m SE.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Also been thinking and maybe the west coast or islands might be good. As well, the east side of loch ness far down looks interesting, and quiet.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Also been thinking and maybe the west coast or islands might be good. As well, the east side of loch ness far down looks interesting, and quiet.

The bottom east side is nice, there is a hydro project going on at the moment so a recy would be in order.

Ok Been rushed of my feet - But come rain or shine I am checking out the woods at NH001364 the top of river ling this Sunday, will take camera and post hopefully Sunday night.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
So had a bad start to the day and bit off more than I could chew.
Bottom line is I did not get to the wood before I had to turn round.

The route I took was dictated by parking!! so parked at Strathcarron train station walked to Achintee and followed the track to Bendronaig Lodge. 2 hours of walking got me to NG994386 at a rough calculation 45min could had had me at the river, weather I could crossed to the woods this time of year???
River Junction NH001 386
RiverjunctionNH001386.jpg

ForestNG9536
ForestNG9536.jpg

LochsNG975386
LochsNG975386.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE