MysteryRanch NICE 7500, pocket sizes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Hi,
testing a NICE 7500 from Dana Gleason I get an impression of the different pocket sizes. Maybe this is of interest for somebody.
-The two long pockets on the outside are big enough for a Hilleberg Akto + ThermARest: double tentpoles plus extra segment wrapped in a ThermARest ProLite S and the inner tent all fit into one of the pockets. Outer tent with extra tentfloor and pegs go into the other one.
-The radio pouch inside the backpack is roomy enough for two full 6l MSR water bags.
-I know that some guys open the seam of the top lid, which divides the pouch into two compartments (so they get one very large pouch), but I personally prefer the original design (the channel between the two compartments make a fine table during the day). The bulky and slouchy design of the top lid makes it very roomy. Even when it is full, there is always some space left (strange thing).
-The sleeping bag compartment is big enough for a synthetic winter sleeping bag plus some liters of food, but not big enough for the sleeping bag plus a synthetic insulation suit: I tried an old Ajungilak (Pertex inner/no zip) sleeping bag, which roughly has the size of a -30° to -35°C synthetic bag, and a Nanok cold weather suit (which is a Reversible Jacket+Trousers+Hood+Sleeping socks). They each go into one Exped Shrink Bag Pro 50, and both Exped bags have about the same size when they are full. I can only stuff one of these bags into the sleeping bag compartment, but there is room left for food etc.
-The main compartment is deep enough for the second Exped shrink bag if you need the full winter kit: Water bag or other into the radio pouch next to the back (there is only space for one 6l water bag in this combination). Two vertical waterproof bags (I use the two small ones from the Exped Bergen liner set, imagine them full) for kitchen and food in front of the water bag/radio pouch. And the second Exped shrink bag still fits into the main compartment between the two kitchen bags and the outside. (With my profile this is an advantage, I am 78kg and 185cm with long legs; I do not like the long and slim packing style of the Kifaru packs, I need something which holds my center down. Even with a MysteryRanch, which is much wider and deeper than a Kifaru, I prefer not to put the extra insulation bag on top of the kitchen bags. The 7500 is deep enough if you need something like this. Not sure about the 6500, I guess this would be too small.) The internal compression strap in the main compartment helps avoiding the 'elephant style' if you pack like this.
-The Water Bottle pockets are big enough for a 32oz Narrow Mouth Nalgene and there is still some space left (e.g. long Hatch Operator gloves).
-Last thing might be the daypack/training performance: with the top lid removed, the pack full of water and all strapped down tight, it looks like a 55 or 60l bag. This makes a 30 or 35kg training pack, quite low-key, I can go an a daily walk without attracting attention.
Sorry for mistakes, not a native speaker. Not connected to any of the manufacturers.
Greetings

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE