my new (old) canvas tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I took a bit of a punt on ebay for this, a small canvas ridge tent, called a Staffordshire Tent, made by British manufacturers Uniform.

I was a bit worried what the condition might be and that it might be a bit small (6ft 6ins long, 4ft 6ins wide and 3ft 6ins high with 18 inch walls on the sides) but lying in it there is enough room for me and kit. Total weight is 2.6kg.

It's very old school with rope guys, some wooden pegs and wooden sectional poles. The canvas is in good nick for its age and although I assumed I would have to fabsil it I chucked a bit of water over it this afternoon and it beaded off quite pleasingly.

I'm pretty pleased. Anyone come across these tents before?

Here it is, pitched very roughly in my garden.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I got one of those conquest medina tents off ebay the other month, [also old canvas] and treated it with nikwax cotton proof, [didnt work well] and then 2 tins of fabsil, didnt work brilliantly either.

I think I'd try the cheaper Thomsons water seal if I wanted to proof an older canvas tent again.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Mate, ooh! I bought two of those in a job lot of gear, back in 2009, erected them at my first permission, and spent may a happy night in them, one exactlly the same as yours, and one in white, but a lighter grade of canvas, i used to leave them up all summer for the lazy so and so's that could not be bothered to bring kit, or set up.

Sold them in a jiffy on Ebay, a couple of years back and regretted it ever since.

Enjoy.

Ivan...

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
I think me and my family may have been one of those lazy so and so's! They were great tents

sent from my smart phone thingy using chubby digits

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
That reminds me of my old army pup tent, will have to get my dad to get it out of the loft for me

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I've got one just like it in the sitting in the garage waiting for a trip out. I have had it up ( briefly on the lawn) but the canvas seemed a bit light and not too weather proof so haven't tested it overnight yet- you'll have to let me know how you get on. Are you going to reproof yours?

Cheers

Joab

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've got one just like it in the sitting in the garage waiting for a trip out. I have had it up ( briefly on the lawn) but the canvas seemed a bit light and not too weather proof so haven't tested it overnight yet- you'll have to let me know how you get on. Are you going to reproof yours?

Cheers

Joab

I think I'll see how well it resists water first, but not much rain about at the moment.

I'm going to take it to Festival at the Edge weekend after next. If it leaks I can always rig a tarp over it as a stop gap.

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
After seeing yours I've just got mine out and pitched it! Mine is 'Uniform Brand' as well but is the 'Yorkshire' model- dimensions are 7' x 6' (5' high)- here's a picky

2j5l6pg.jpg

Can't beat that old canvas, hessian and slightly damp smell!

cheers

Joab

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
After seeing yours I've just got mine out and pitched it! Mine is 'Uniform Brand' as well but is the 'Yorkshire' model- dimensions are 7' x 6' (5' high)- here's a picky

2j5l6pg.jpg

Can't beat that old canvas, hessian and slightly damp smell!

cheers

Joab

That looks really good and a bit bigger than mine, the ideal size I reckon. Yorkshire, Staffordshire, I wonder how many other counties they made?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE