my new canvas and leather pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
If louis vuitton made proper bags, this would be it. Very nice.
**disclaimer, i only know who he is due to fashionistas next to my office***

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice skills.looks like a very useable pack.will you be treating it for water repellency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a proofed tent canvas so it should stay repellent for a while - once it starts letting in I will think about waxing it.
Thanks to all for the kind comments :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Holy shnikeys! That is some stunning work. You've a terrific grasp of design and function. Wonderful looking pack.

Thank you :)
Two years as a Mature Student at college studying "Design" (albeit Fashion Design) 30 something years using outdoor gear as an enthusiast and instructor and twenty something years designing outdoor kit has lead to this point :)
I am still not totally happy with the pack as I know all the problems I had building it .. but it will be my main user in this size range for some time to come!:)
I am planning to make a matching haversack out of the leftover materials :)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
A top job Mr. Fenna and one of an esthetic I totally relate to. The bottom strap attachment arrangement looks a wee bit tricky and I wondered if you would do that any differently on the next one?

I’ve been meaning to make such a pack in all leather for many years but as such would need to be totally hand stitched (I don’t have a sewing machine) I keep putting it off!

K

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A top job Mr. Fenna and one of an esthetic I totally relate to. The bottom strap attachment arrangement looks a wee bit tricky and I wondered if you would do that any differently on the next one?

I’ve been meaning to make such a pack in all leather for many years but as such would need to be totally hand stitched (I don’t have a sewing machine) I keep putting it off!

K

The bottom strap is riveted onto a reinforced section of the base of the pack - very straightforward and seen on many trad packs.
What I think you may be looking at is the lower corner (which I would curve in future models) and the edge of the waist belt strap tunnel.
If you are seeing that as the strap attachment then it would look tricky :)
I was going to set the lower straps into the side seam with a reinforced gusset - but once I had cut the materials it looked "wrong" so I went for the simple option :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE