my first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
well i got a piece of O1 carbon steel at the scottish meet last weekend. so i decided to make a knife.
as you do :D
so far so good.
i'm going for a cross between my woodlore and my lekku. what it ends up like is another matter.

pictures to follow.

the initial design drawn out.

145kb - View Full Image

the first bit filed off.

86kb - View Full Image

the blade takes shape.

92kb - View Full Image

stay tuned for more piccys as i progress.

leon-1

Graham, look at the simple, more that will fit your own hand. Nothing too thick (I am working on something which is ambitious for your first blade), something which has an easy grind and the like.

You would not want to attempt what I started (blind stupidity) I know now. All the best on whatever you try, Leon:)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i have a plan, i'm going to build up the handle with disks of birch and antler spaced with leather with a brass butt cap. i've mostly got the blade filed out now. the next challenge is heat treatment. there are a couple of tutorials on BB so i'm sure i'll sort it out.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Nice one Graham. I guess you have access to a fairly well equipped workshop. :D

Hope it turns out good. I don't know why the discs of leather/wood handle is not more popular - it was a common method of handle construction in the 50s-60s.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Nice work, look forward to seeing it progress.

Remember to keep any internal angles curved - like the join between the tang & the blade, to prevent stress risers.

The HT/Temper for 01 is pretty strait forward, I've done it with nothing but a gas 'coal effect' fire (mind the lounge carpet though!) and the kitchen oven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE