My first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
Finally finished my first knife after a good 2 weeks of hard work. I've used 3mm o1 tool steel finished with olive wood and 4mm brass rod. With 1.5mm kydex sheeting and a homemade belt loop.

Here are some pics
63881e0862631121835310f05cbc8520.jpg
aa0136e9ae8ed58c8d2386725232bd30.jpg
e1458ab54af1a347b083c32138629414.jpg

What do you guys think and any suggestions for improvements for when I make my next one?

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Nice ...
Top job that!👍
Olive wood is just beautiful...

It needs a leather sheath IMMO . But that's just my opinion...👍

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
Nice ...
Top job that!👍
Olive wood is just beautiful...

It needs a leather sheath IMMO . But that's just my opinion...👍

Thanks!
I think your right about the sheath. I was torn between the two and thought it would be worth a try. I think I will make a leather sheath aswell and use both depending on what I'm doing..

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Looks great! If that is your first foray into knifemaking then I shall look forward to seeing your future efforts - bound to be good!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Pat on the back. That's pretty accomplished for a first knife.

Helps to put knife prices into perspective when you make one doesn't it?

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
Pat on the back. That's pretty accomplished for a first knife.

Helps to put knife prices into perspective when you make one doesn't it?
Thanks,
It certainly does, I now understand why some are so expensive... I'm uncertain as to how much this would be worth?

James

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks,
It certainly does, I now understand why some are so expensive... I'm uncertain as to how much this would be worth?

James

The answer is, as always, whatever someone is willing to pay. It's very difficult to even recoup the costs of materials, let alone your time.

I've put a few handles onto blades, and sold them generally at a loss, or just breaking even. A labour of love.

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
The answer is, as always, whatever someone is willing to pay. It's very difficult to even recoup the costs of materials, let alone your time.

I've put a few handles onto blades, and sold them generally at a loss, or just breaking even. A labour of love.

Yeah I agree. But this knife cost me £17 to make all in with the sheath, I would have thought I could get a lot more for it than that? Or am I wrong?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah I agree. But this knife cost me £17 to make all in with the sheath, I would have thought I could get a lot more for it than that? Or am I wrong?

My guess is it's worth way over £17, but couldn't give you a figure.

you ought to keep your first, for sentimental reasons, and as a gauge of your progress.

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
My guess is it's worth way over £17, but couldn't give you a figure.

you ought to keep your first, for sentimental reasons, and as a gauge of your progress.

I'm defiantly not selling it, hoping to keep this one for a lifetime. I'm only 16 and hoping it will last for ages 👍🏻

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That spellcheck :D

Be defiant, and if it's your thing, keep at it. :)

BritishBlades might be a good place for you if you need info, it's a good source of all knife stuff. I skip about between here and there. And EDCForums, Jerzeedevil, Candlepowerforums (love of bright stuff).

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
I'll ..definitely ;) keep at. I've already started on another couple of knives which should keep me busy. Once finished I'll post them on here. I'll check out those forums. Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE