My first hammock - first impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all,
I'm typically a ground dweller but my camping buddies (who all swing from the trees) convinced me to to get a hammock. So after much research I opted to buy the basic Woodsman hammock by UK Hammocks (note that I've no affiliation with said company) and here it is:

20150530_120659_zpsbz2bblop.jpg~320x480

I opted for this hammock because it is a nice size (3m by 1.5m) which enables you to enjoy a nice flat diagonal lay. I also wanted to support a small British company!

Everything is made to order at ukhammocks so it did take a few weeks to arrive (I ordered in march which I'd guess is a busy period) but I'm well pleased with the quality of the hammock, particularly as im a big lad! And am glad i opted to wait for this rather than go for an alternative (I was well aware and very tempted by the dd group buy going on at the time of ordering!).

I also purchased the optional whoopie slings and toggles to make setup a bit easier and the picture above is the first time I've setup a hammock (having learnt from you tube vids!). I don't think my setup is perfect as I need to adjust the sag on the structural ridgeline (it was a bit too tight) but that is an easy adjustment - you're given a hank of dyneema so that you can setup the structural ridgeline to your own preferance for the sag. I simply attached it to the bottom of each Whoopie sling where it holds the hammock.

I'd welcome thoughts on whether the tree hugger, toggles and whoopie sling set up is sufficient to stop water running down the lines and whether I should do anything else?

I've only had a brief lie in it yesterday but am already very impressed with the quality and comfort and am looking forward to my first night in it soon. The hammock has two layers so I've got a foam mat to insulate and a brit army basha to provide shelter. I didn't go for a hammock with the bug netting as they were a bit more expensive and I'm still slightly unsure how I'd get on with hammocking but I can probably add the netting on at a later date if necessary. Personally I don't find bugs too much of a problem in the south of England.

20150530_120832_zps0zqfhyrs.jpg~320x480

Happy camping!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE