my axe has chips!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
hi all,
after only using my axe for the 2nd time ( gransfore brux small forrest axe) during carving a spoon, it has tiny chips on each end, they almost look as if theyre serrated!!. could this be down to bad axemanship on my part or is there something wrong with the axe itself.
what should i do? should i try to fix it myself, and how do i go about doing that? or should i send it back, which im not to keen on? or something else.
im off too the scottish meet next month and i dont want a dodgy axe coming with me.
your help is much appreciated.

regards
james

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
dinks are usually a fact of life... GB axes are incredibly sharp which is brilliant until you hit something hard... sometimes even a knot in some wood or even some grit which may have grown in to the tree at some point is enough to put a dink in the edge.

Just take your time and sharpen it out and if it keeps doing it, contact GB and let them know.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
jamesoconnor said:
hi all,
after only using my axe for the 2nd time ( gransfore brux small forrest axe) during carving a spoon, it has tiny chips on each end, they almost look as if theyre serrated!!. could this be down to bad axemanship on my part or is there something wrong with the axe itself.
what should i do? should i try to fix it myself, and how do i go about doing that? or should i send it back, which im not to keen on? or something else.
im off too the scottish meet next month and i dont want a dodgy axe coming with me.
your help is much appreciated.

regards
james

Hi mate,
the best thing is calling them. I had the same problem using my GB in winter time on frozen wood. I was unsure if I was stupid or if there was something wrong with the axe. GB was very nice about it and ask me to send the axe to them, I didnt have to pay for it. They told me if there is a production mistake I would get a new one, if it has to do with a too steep sharpening of the axe they will reprofile it. After 2-3 weeks I got the axe bag delivered house to house without charge. It was my axe very sharp but a little different angle.

Give them a call and tell your problems

cheers
Abbe

leon-1

I have a GB and it is sharp, the problem that you always get is that small dinks always appear after a period of time.

You can change this by reprofiling the blade so that it has a steeper angle to the edge which will make it less likely to roll or fold and provide a generally more robust edge.

I like mine as it is so won't e doing anything to it, but this is always an option for both experienced and in-experienced uses alike :)

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
How would you go about re-profiling the blade??

I know you can use a grinding wheel or file, but is there a particular knack or technique for this??

I remember my brother many years ago, doing this to an axe using a large rasp file and slipped, resulting in the blade carving a deep gash from his forearm up to his triceps. He still bears an inch wide, eight inch or so long scar up the back of his arm to testify to his mistake. He didnt even bat an eyelid, he wrapped his wooly jumper around it and rang for an ambulance. Needles to say he doesnt sharp things in a vice anymore.

leon-1

You can use a low grit whetstone in a circular motion to remove large amounts of metal or you could use an axe file like the GB ones.

Always work away from you when using a file, keep the motions short and measured (no choppy actions), try and be as precise as possible before moving onto a stone, once onto a finer stone you do not need to rush things, once again take it easy as it will be easier to control your angle and how sharp you get the edge like this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE