mullein hand drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
Does anyone know the best time to gather mullein stems for hand-drills?
The plants are about six feet tall at the moment and the flowers are just starting to open,I was thinking about a months time before gathering them.
Any help would be most appreciated.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
typha said:
The plants are about six feet tall at the moment and the flowers are just starting to open,I was thinking about a months time before gathering them.
I got mine in the late winter, not sure if its the best time, but the stems are fine, though I have not got an ember yet.........Perhaps you do need to gather them before they dry out ????????????

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yesss! :D Where did you find mullien round here? Match said he'd found one patch out by Edinburgh but I've had no joy locally at all :(
There are a couple (hundred that is :) ) folks who enthuse about the stems so I presume they'll be along with info shortly :D

Cheers,
Toddy

typha said:

About September / October will be fine. I collect mine in the fall after the leaves turn brown. I am rather excited this season as I have just discovered a vacant lot near the highway that has hundreds of stalks growing. I have never seen such a concentration before. Should make for a great harvest.

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
Jeff Wagner said:
About September / October will be fine. I collect mine in the fall after the leaves turn brown. I am rather excited this season as I have just discovered a vacant lot near the highway that has hundreds of stalks growing. I have never seen such a concentration before. Should make for a great harvest.

Thankyou for the help Jeff I will keep an eye on them to see when the leaves turn brown.
It sounds as though you've discovered something a bit special at the vacant lot, I just hope it remains vacant till you've harvested the mullein.

typha said:
Thankyou for the help Jeff I will keep an eye on them to see when the leaves turn brown.
It sounds as though you've discovered something a bit special at the vacant lot, I just hope it remains vacant till you've harvested the mullein.

Yes, me too. However since the stalks appear in the second growth year it means the lot has been left alone for at least two years. So, I am hopeful but watching closely never the less. .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE