Mora knives on eBay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Well, I ended up ordering one of these, and it turned up at the weekend. I thought I would post a few initial impressions as they might be useful to other newcomers getting to grips with knives. The one I got is a "traditional" Mora, about 8 inches long with a blade length of around 3.75 inches and an orange wooden handle.

Plastic sheath: I had been warned about this, but it was far worse than I imagined. Reminded me of a plastic toy sword I had as a kid. Comes with a small piece of leather stapled to it for attachment to a belt. Although the quality is bad enough to bring a grown man to the edge of tears, it is surprsingly functional and holds the knife quite tightly. I couldn't get the knife to shift even by turning the sheath upside down and shaking.

The knife: I was immediately surprised by how light it was - lighter than my small SAK. The blade also quite small - I was a bit concerned that a 4 inch blade would be difficult to manage but it seems about the right size. It is only .75 inch/2cm wide - narrower than I was expecting. This is a knife for fine work rather than hacking through a jungle. The blade came covered by some nasty sticky oily stuff to protect it from rust. This was a real swine to shift and along with the orange handle and plastic sheath give you a rather poor first impression.

Once I had cleaned the blade I was quite pleasantly surprised by the blade. It is a nice functional shape and curves gently to a point. The bevel was quite a surprise (this is the first flat ground knife I have seen) as it is quite a fine angle. Coupled with the thinness of the blade (2mm max) I can imagine this coming up quite sharp and being good for carving. The bevel is around 5mm wide so it should be reasonably easy to hold flat on a sharpening stone.

The handle is as garish a colour as people have described - no losing that in the grass and is not very well finished. Some people commented that the handles don't suit them and I can see why. I have reasonably small hands (for a guy) and I found it only just big enough - those with hands like coal shovels are not likely to get on with this knife. The shape of the handle grows on you (it is like an elongated rugby ball) and is quite comfortable if you are doing light cutting. I find it less comfortable if I need to grip it tight as it thins a little too much towards the end. The handle tends to pivot around your middle finger and you need to grip it quite tightly with your little finger - quite tiring after a while.

As eraaij pointed out, the quality of the finish is not high. The paint is uneven and a bit flakey, there are gaps where the blade enters the ferrule and the cutting edge overhangs the handle - could be easy to cut yourself. My blade was also a little bent where it joined the handle. A bit of pressure from my foot seems to have sorted this out now. The blade was not particularly sharp and will need honing before any serious use - I managed some crude whittling but my arms are still as hairy as ever :)

Overall, the impression is that this is a cheaply made but functional knife put together on a budget. Once sharpened, I am sure it will be a good knife but If you are expecting something fancy then you will be disappointed - this is a cheap working knife rather than something for a display cabinet. It will grow on you but just try not to think about the sheath!

Sorry for the long post but I thought it might be useful for newbies to know what you get from a cheap knife - kind of an antidote to all the postings about "gucci" knives on this site.

Right, now I've got to buy something to sharpen it with ...

Yep - that's a pretty fair assessment of the knife as a person gets it! It exactly matches my disbelief years ago...
And there's still the tedious business of burning the paint of the handle and giving it an oil finish and then sharpening. It can easily take a couple of hours to flatten the bevels and get a really good edge. I go even further and put in extra time to flatten the sides of the blade and round the tops of the bevel shoulders and polish with green buffing compound.
Yet with all of the pretty, high tech steel, expensive, tough - you name it - knives I've got - it's the Moras that go into the bush with me...

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Hi guys, I am a newbie :) and have a mora, so heres my pennies worth. First of I bought it from Ray Rears web site. It is the one with the green plastic handle and the very BAD plastic sheath that when I wear around my waist it digs well into my skin :( Soon changing that though, found these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leather-Sheat...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem so have bought one!

The knife it self is pretty comfy in hand and has done all the food prep, fire lighting and camp gadgets that I have managed to do :D I have made a little custom job on it by attaching a plaited leather cord through the lanyard hole! I would put a piccie on but I am a dunce at the techie stuff.

There we go my pennies worth, not a bad knife crap sheath but a fab learner.

miniac

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
:eek: Err did'nt think about that, doh. Just found some piccies on the web an it appears to be pretty much the same handle shape but with a rubber grip. Hopefully it will be the same! If not my sellers account on ebay will see a bit of action

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
miniac said:
:eek: Err did'nt think about that, doh. Just found some piccies on the web an it appears to be pretty much the same handle shape but with a rubber grip. Hopefully it will be the same! If not my sellers account on ebay will see a bit of action
Let me know how you get on, I nearly did the same!
You could always buy a clipper as well they are about a tenner I think!

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
daved said:
The blade came covered by some nasty sticky oily stuff to protect it from rust. This was a real swine to shift ..

Comes off real easy with white spirit or turps - just wiped off.
( yes I got two to play with too) ;) :rolleyes:

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Hi all :D my first post. I bought one of these in the hope of using it in the Peak District as I have just moved to Sheffield to study at Uni.

I blowtorched and sanded the handle to my liking and treated it with danish oil - much better!

But as for the blade, I have a few queries...

I understand that after I have sharpened the blade (with a stone that cost more than the knife itself!!), what sort oil should be applied to the blade?

Also, Is there any point in grinding the blade down to a single bevel? I read something about someone doing it to this knife, and the process being very laborious.

I wish I had followed my gut and got a few of these to experiment with!

Ah well, thanks v much!

-Matt

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Matt,

These knives should have a single bevel already.

I think you might be referring to my recent post about having a go at sharpening the knife? Well, just because I had trouble, it doesn't mean you will too. :) There is a knack to sharpening that can be harder to pick up than you might expect so don't be put off if you don't get it right first time. From my experience, it is worth having a look to see how straight your blade is before investing too much time with the waterstone. Looking at the reflections under a strong light should give you a reasonable idea of the condition.
A 1000 grit stone will take a fair old amount of time to flatten out a warped edge, so starting with something co****r might be a good idea. I opted for wet and dry paper because it is cheap and I had some handy, rather than some inverted-snobery about it being "better". (As a student, you will no doubt appreciate cost-effective solutions - although that might not kick-in until your third year!).

If you have gone to the trouble of sanding and oiling your handle, it is worth protecting it before you start sharpening, particularly if you are using wet and dry - it is easy to end up sharpening the handle too if you aren't careful ;)

I will have to leave it others to guide you on how to go about the sharpening as I am not really qualified to do so myself.

Best of luck with it - don't neglect your studies mucking round with knives though!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE